twenty-nine

A/N - um... so it has been two years... anyone still here?

i did promise i would finish this by the end of 2021 LOL IM SO SORRY

i WILL finish it i promise you this and if ur still here please marry me i'm so grateful for you

(the rest of the story will be in third person)

Bucky ran a hand through his hair with a sigh, refusing to succumb to the sleepiness threatening to take over as he felt his eyelids began to droop. Every time he snapped back into his senses however, one look at the weak, uneven rise and fall of Y/N's chest reminded him the importance of the situation. He had fallen victim to the painful clenching in his chest whenever he laid eyes on her sleeping body. Although alive, she had been laying still and unmoving for far too long, and with each passing second the guilt further consumed him.

It was bad enough he'd let her get taken by Hydra, his sworn enemy, but it was even worse that he was the reason she was here. If only he'd been more aware of his surroundings, if only he hadn't given her a reason to use her powers...

Bucky's spiraling train of though was broken by a firm hand on his shoulder. He turned to see Natasha standing behind him, concern plastered on her face. 

"Nat..." He suddenly became too aware of his disheveled appearance, but was too exhausted to even attempt an excuse for his lack of self-care.

She shook her head, giving him a soft, sad, smile. "I understand. She's the most important thing in your mind right now, and that's valid given everything you've both been through. But you haven't eaten, haven't slept, haven't even showered. It may not be important to you, but taking care of yourself is important to us. And especially important to her. Imagine how she'll feel as soon as she wakes up, seeing you in this state? If you won't do it for yourself, at least do it for Y/N."

Bucky swallowed the lump in his throat, suddenly flooded with overwhelming emotion at Natasha's words. His room was right by the Med Bay...

"I'll nap for an hour," he spoke quietly, his eyes never leaving Y/N's. "But you have to keep watch."

Natasha raised an eyebrow. 

"Please."

She nodded with a small smile as Bucky rose slowly to his feet, moving towards the door. "Remember, just an hour. Please wake me up in time."

"Whatever you say Bucky. You can trust me, now go get some rest."

He reluctantly nodded, dragging himself to his room and into his bed. He wasn't quite sure how he was supposed to sleep with this much worry and anxiety, but somehow eventually fell into a restless slumber. 

He dreamed about many things. He dreamed about their first kiss, that heart-melting happiness one of the greatest things he'd felt in a long time. He dreamt about falling asleep beside her, his arms wrapped around her in a way that assured him she was safe, that allowed him to feel her gentle breaths against his neck.

But he also dreamt of the spine-chilling screams he heard when they got to Hydra. The aftereffects of their evil and inhumane actions, the sight of her body going limp as she jumped in front of a bullet for him. Her voice, calling his name.

"Bucky. Bucky..."

"Bucky!"

He awoke with a jolt, his breathing heavy. He checked his clock, only to realise he had been sleeping for much longer than an hour. 

Steve was standing by the door, looking impatient. Bucky's mind immediately jumped to conclusions. "What happened? Is Y/N okay?"

Steve rushed over to his panicked friend, placing a reassuring hand on his arm. "Calm down, Bucky. She's fine. More than fine, actually, which is why Natasha sent me to wake you. Her vitals are becoming more and more stable, and Dr. Cho thinks she'll wake up soon."

Relief had never flooded Bucky's heart so quickly. "Really?"

Steve nodded with a grin, and Bucky rushed to his feet. "You better hurry if you want to be there when she wakes up!"

Bucky nodded, running from his room to the Med Bay. Dr. Cho and Natasha were there by Y/N, and Bucky quietly sat beside the sleeping girl, taking her hand in his. He scanned her face, which was already looking more relaxed.

Bucky's heart raced when at last her eyelids began to flutter. She was awake. Y/N was awake and alive, and he'd never been happier at that fact.

"Bucky-" Y/N croaked, her voice hoarse. Bucky felt tears prick his eyes as he cupped her face, gently stroking her hair.

"Y/N..." He gently rested his forehead against hers, careful to avoid hurting her. "I was so worried. I thought I'd lost you for good."

She laughed softly. "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

He laughed with her, feeling a single tear of relief run down his face. He pressed a gentle peck against her lips, feeling as though words could not describe the relief and happiness that consumed him within this moment.

He looked up at Dr. Cho. "How's she looking?" 

She smiled. "She's strong; recovering faster than most. As long as she keeps movement to a minimum and rests to the max, she'll be out of here in no time."

Bucky's smile spread even further as he pressed a kiss to the back of Y/N's hand. 

She was okay.

A/N - one chapter left until this book is finally finished omg

thank you for 30k actually insane

thank you AGAIN for waiting two years for this chapter deepest apologies once more

UR THE BEST HAVE A GREAT DAY