sixteen

"No! Please, stop!"

A rough pair of hands shook you awake. "Y/N? Wake up!" You stirred awake to find Bucky sitting up, his hands on your shoulders. You exhaled sharply as you tried to control the shaking of your body. These nightmares were really getting out of hand.

You couldn't help but let out a soft sob as you clenched your eyes shut. You hated these nightmares, you hated the endless memories of Hydra, and the thought that your life would never be the same.

"Hey, hey, it was just a nightmare. It's okay. You're safe here," Bucky hesitated a moment before gently pulling you close to him, wrapping his arms around you in a comforting embrace. Your buried your head into his chest, repeating his words over and over again in your head. It was just a nightmare.

"T-Thank you Bucky," your voice trembled as you spoke, and he smiled. 

"I know there's no going back from the insane shit Hydra does to your mind. But they aren't here, and things aren't going to get worse, they'll only get better from here."

You couldn't believe one person could show so much kindness. All you'd known was fear and torture, and you'd learnt that staying silent and obedient was the best strategy. You didn't remember anything before Hydra. But you felt safe around Bucky. Safer than when you were around any other Avengers. You loved the way his eyes changed shades of blue depending on his emotions. You loved the way he'd grin whenever he saw you. You loved how he was slowly learning to be vulnerable, to take down the wall he'd learnt to put up all these years. It gave you hope that you could take down your wall too.

But why were your feelings about Bucky so different to everyone else? You never stopped thinking about him. Surely you didn't...

No. Nat's teasing had gotten to your head. He was just being nice because he understood and he was a friend. And nothing more.

~

When morning came, you felt weak and tired but the pain was no longer there. Bucky had left your room early in the morning to train, and you found yourself bored and alone.

That was until, Nat ran into your room. "I think I have a solution. Wanda and I can train you. She has similar powers to you, and if you learn to control them, then your body can get used to it. I can teach you some basic combat moves so you can fight as well as us you powers."

You blinked as you tried to comprehend what she was saying. "I don't know, Nat. It might not work, and even worse I might hurt somebody. That's the last thing I want to do."

"Wanda's powerful. She can work as a spotter. Step in if everything gets out of control."

You sighed, considering the idea. It would be useful to learn to control this power. You could defend yourself and maybe even fight alongside the other Avengers. You would also get out of this stupid hospital room. "Okay, I'll try."

Nat smiled. "Great. Change into these and I'll meet you outside." She placed some comfortable workout clothes on the end of your bed and left the room.

You got changed, grateful to be out of something besides a stupid hospital gown, and followed Nat down to the gym. Your head was still spinning, but it wasn't going to stop if you didn't learn how to control your powers soon. Wanda was waiting.

"Y/N! It's good to see you walking around again. We were all really worried."

"Especially Bucky," Nat added suggestively with a smirk. You glared at her as you stood in front of Wanda.

"Do you know what sort of powers you wield at the moment?" Wanda asked, eyeing you curiously.

"I uh- I froze time once, and I guess I made myself float. But neither of those I did on purpose. I was either angry or sad and I hardly even noticed anything was happening."

"Time manipulation and telekinesis. And your powers are linked to emotions."

"How do you know?"

"I don't, I'm just guessing. But it might help you control it and have somewhat of an understanding of what you can do."

Nat walked over suddenly, placing a water bottle on a bench in front of you. "Lift the water bottle."

You stare at her, before shrugging and holding your hand out. You stared at the bottle, your fingertips tingling slightly. Nothing was happening. "I can't."

"Try thinking about an emotion. Dig deep, but don't choose something so significant it might cause you to use more power than you want to," Wanda suggested.

Shrugging again, you close you eyes as you dig through your brain to find a memory that elicited an emotion from you. Holding your hand out again, your entire arm tingled as your fingertips started to glow white. The bottle started to wobble slightly, lifting about half an inch off the table before it fell over and you dropped your arm, panting. Just using the smallest bit of power was exhausting.

Nat clapped excitedly. "It worked! What emotion were you thinking of?"

You grinned. "How annoying you are when you try to set me up with Bucky," you teased and she scowled.

Just then, you heard footsteps outside, Steve froze in front of the door, a shocked expression on his face.

"What are you guys doing with Y/N? She's still weak and tired, she shouldn't be out here."

You smiled. "Relax Steve. I'm learning to control my powers so what happened doesn't happen again.

He sighed. "Still, you should go back upstairs for now. Don't be on your feet for too long. We were all really worried about you."

"Okay, I will. But only if I'm allowed back in my own bedroom. I hate that stuffy hospital room."

He laughed. "I'll see what I can do."

A/N~

sorry, a bit of a shitty chapter but I haven't updated in a while so I thought I'd just publish it anyway. I'm sorry, I know my writing isn't the best haha but I try.

I don't have anything else left to say really, besides please vote and comment if you enjoyed and I'll see you all in the next one :)

have a wonderful day!