seventeen

Things were finally starting to go back to normal. You were training with your powers every day, and could now easily use your telekinesis skills on-demand, without feeling nearly as tired. Steve had pulled a few strings and you were allowed back in your room.

Something had changed between you and Bucky, however. Physical contact had sort of become natural since that night. His presence was comforting, and your nightmares had become less intense. Your midnight training sessions had stopped, however, due to Bucky insisting you needed to rest and recover to prevent it from happening again.

~

"Y/N, Tony has called everyone down to the kitchen," FRIDAY's voice alerted you. You thanked her and made your way downstairs. Everyone else was there too.

"Okay, guys, I have an important announcement to make. Since Y/N has control of her powers now, and can fight decently well, I was thinking she should become an Avenger. I've organised a press conference tomorrow to officially announce it," Tony told everyone, and Nat and Bucky cheered in support. You nodded excitedly as he clapped his hands together. "Okay then. We'll have a party tomorrow night to celebrate."

You froze as everyone left. You had never been to a party before, nevertheless one thrown for you. Wanda and Nat came over to you.

"Congrats, Y/N. Come on, we're taking you shopping," Nat said, clapping you on the shoulder.

You gave her a look. "Again? I thought I had enough clothes for the next three years."

Wanda laughed. "Y/N, you need an outfit for the press conference and a dress for the party! You need to catch someone's eye."

Your cheeks turned pink as she mentioned Bucky. "I don't know, I've never even been to a party."

"That's why you're coming with us. I've stolen Tony's credit card this time, so we can spend as much as we want." Nat hauls you to your feet as you follow her and Wanda out the door.

Shopping, yet again, was a nightmare. You tried on what felt like a hundred different outfits per store, until you finally found a suitable press conference outfit, and then another hundred stores later, you had picked out a dress for the party.

Tony glared at you later that day when you arrived with your hands full of bags, but didn't say anything. After putting away the bags, you quickly scramble down to the gym where you knew Bucky was waiting for you.

"Congratulations," he said with a grin as you entered.

"Thanks, but I still don't know if I'm ready."

He pulled a face. "You're powerful, Y/N. You're the most ready person I know. Besides, we'll all be by your side."

You smile as you stand in front of him. You spar for a while, only to be defeated by him every time, as per usual.

As you were packing up, he tapped you on the shoulder.

"Um, Y/N, I just wanted to say-" he paused for a moment.

"Yes, Bucky?"

"Oh, uh, good luck with the press conference. You'll do great."

You smiled. "Thank you, Bucky."

He rubbed the back of his neck nervously and nodded as he left the room. He was acting kind of strange around you lately, and you wondered why. You yourself were noticing that you were starting to act differently around him too. You wanted to spend more and more time with him. You had grown feelings for him. But his change in behavior made you wary of telling him that. Your self-doubt and worry took over again. I mean, why would he like you? You'd never even kissed somebody and still didn't know proper social etiquette. You sighed, running a hand over your face. Life was confusing sometimes.

Bucky POV~

I don't know why I stopped Y/N in the gym. There was something I'd been dying to tell her for a while, something I had been lying to myself about for a long time. But I couldn't tell her. She had been through too much and was finally happy, the last thing I needed to do was add more stress to her plate.

~

Y/N POV~

The press conference went well. You dressed in a white sleeveless blouse tucked into a black skirt that Nat had chosen for you. You looked professional, with your hair twisted into a French twist and natural makeup. Tony did all the talking as you stood towards the side, waving to the cameras as you were announced as the newest member of the Avengers.

As soon as it finished, Nat and Wanda dragged you back to your room, insisting they needed as much time as possible to help get you ready for the party.

You slipped on the dress before the other girls came in, Nat doing your makeup and Wanda doing your hair. After what felt like forever, they were finally done. 

You hardly recognised yourself as you stepped in front of the mirror. You were wearing a fancy navy blue halterneck dress, with a floor-length skirt that had a slit down the side. Your H/C hair had been braided at the top, the rest of it cascading down your shoulders in loose waves.

Nat placed a hand on your shoulder. "You look gorgeous. Now come on, we don't want to be late!" She exclaimed as she dragged you out of your room by your hand.

A/N~

Another chapter of this book haha! Sorry, ik I haven't updated in a few days but I've also been trying to update my Loki x Reader book at the same time so it's been kinda hectic. 

Also, I'm sorry that some of Bucky's POV's are super short, but I really just wanted to give you guys a look into his perspective of what's happening at that point in time.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed and have a fantastic day!