twenty-six

Bucky POV~
She went limp in my arms, her eyes fluttering shut. Panic started to rise, my heart speeding up as I pressed my hands to her stomach to slow the flow of blood. But it was no use.

"Come on, Y/N. Stay with me. Please." I was pleading, begging now. I couldn't lose her. Especially since it was my fault. She sacrificed herself to save me. It should've been me lying on the floor.

I was as relieved as I could be in that moment when I pressed two fingers gently to her neck and felt a soft, too soft, but present pulse. I tried slowly taking deep breaths, calming myself enough to get us out of the situation.

"Help. P-Please help. It's Y/N- She's- She's hurt." It was hard to even admit that out loud as I stuttered a call of help through my intercom.

"Bucky? What happened?" Tony's voice replied a few moments later, stern and worried but still calm.

"She- She was shot. I can't- can't stop the bleeding. We're downstairs, in one of the labs. We- We don't have much time."

I could hear a concerned sigh coming from Tony. "Okay, we- we're coming. Try to stop the blood as best you can, especially if she's already unconscious."

I muttered a simple yes as a reply, noting Tony's slight break in his usual demeanour. I pressed my hands as firmly as I could against her wound, noticing her slowing heartbeat against my palms and trying to ignore the blood seeping through my fingers.

Tears threatened to fall as her breathing became more and more staggered. I never cried  anymore. Not since Hydra. But I loved her. She was the only thing that mattered to me and she was slipping away by the second.

I don't know how long I kneeled there on the floor of the lab, Y/N slowly dying in my arms and I pressed my hand to her abdomen, trying to stop every drop of blood from escaping. The waiting was painful, almost as if every breath she took seemed like her last.

Finally, the doors of the lab were flung open and Nat and Tony walked in.

"No... Y/N!" Nat cried as she kneeled by her, gently stroking her hair.

"Come on Bucky, we've got to get her help." Tony called out to me, and I just swallowed.

Nat placed a hand on my shoulder. "Bucky, we've got to go, to save her."

I nodded, gathering my thoughts once more, I gently scooped Y/N into my arms, following Nat and Tony out of the lab. My mind was rushing, immediately jumping to all of the worst conclusions it could possible make. But I knew one thing. I couldn't, and wouldn't, live without Y/N. I had to keep her alive at all costs.

We finally made it out of the Hydra base a few moments later. Steve took Y/N from me onto the quinjet, and I tried ignoring all of the devastated, worried faces of the other avengers. I could only focus on Y/N. I would only focus on Y/N. I needed to make sure she was okay.

Bruce immediately began checking her vitals, Nat taking over staunching the blood flow. But there was only so much they could do. We had to get her back to the tower, and Dr Cho, before it was too late.

The very idea of losing her made my heart sting. I didn't think I could've loved someone after I was the Winter Soldier. And the very minute I found out that I could, Hydra had almost killed her. I couldn't let her leave me, not now.

a/n~

heyy.....

so yeah haven't updated in ages but I'm still alive don't worry and I'm trying my best to put out more updates for you guys but in the meanwhile I'm very sorry for the lack of motivation.

eehhhh bit of a short and iffy chapter but hope you enjoyed nonetheless - thank you for almost 10K!

I hope you have a spectacularly amazing day and I will see y'all in the next update ✌️