Ch. 3: A New Friend (Part 2)

Hyunwoo

~a couple of months later~

~Moonlight Terrance~

~almost sunset~

  I sighed as I practiced sword fighting half hearted. I didn't make any effort to actually practice so what I am doing looks more like I am doing tricks with a sword (A/N: Imagine the bat thing that Jasper does in Twilight but with a sword.) Typically, I would be resting in my room or eating dinner right now. 

But, father and mother started to argue when I came back home with some injures from martial arts, sword fighting, and magic training with the uncles and brothers in the army that my father is in charge of. When my mother noticed my injures, she yelled at my father for making me do things that could cause me harm instead of  letting me become a scholar or a god that is in charge of something that involves no violence. 

My father then retorted back with "He is my heir," "No son of mine is going to become a weakling," and some...colorful words. It wasn't like I suffered any damage that can't be healed on its own with my own innate healing ability or by one of the healers from the Heavenly Medicine King's Valley nor was it the first time I came back home with injures. I guess something else must have irritated my mother and she decided to vent by arguing with my father. 

My parents usually didn't argue with one another in front of me. So, that is why I am out here seeking refuge elsewhere until things cool down at home before going back. Since I have nothing else to do right now, I decided to practice the art of sword fighting seriously and performed the sword fighting skills that the army taught me as well as mixing in some martial arts that have been passed down throughout the generations from my father's side. 

As I practiced, I used my magic to make the leaves on the floor float and fly around me so I can used them as targets. I stopped moving and stood still. I inhaled deeply as I closed my eyes and used my divine sense to determine where the leaves were and tracked their movements. 

"Now," I said when I determined when multiple leaves would be flying right in front of me at the same time as I thrusted my sword forward in an attempt to skewer the three leaves with a single thrust. But, then, a sound that I hadn't expected reaches my ears.

I quickly opened my eyes and saw the boy that fell out of the tree some time ago. He looks at me with a scared look in his eyes. His lips are quivering like he was about to cry. "Oh my god! Sorry, I didn't realize that you were there," I said immediately as I didn't want to make him cry. I made my sword disappear and let the leaves drop to the floor.

"..."

"Are you okay," I asked as I took a step toward him but he takes a step back at the same time. "I scared you, didn't I? I didn't mean too," I said sheepishly as I rubbed the back of my neck with my free hand. 

"...no," he lies after putting on a brave face. 

"So...what are you doing out here so late," I asked awkwardly because I didn't know what to say in this kind of a situation. 

"What about you, Hyung" he half stammers half asks as he wills himself not to cry.

I frowned and said, "I asked you first."

"...okay but you can't tell anyone. Promise," he asks shyly. 

"Promise."

"I snuck out because I didn't want to go to bed yet," he blushes as he tells me this. 

"Really," I asked rhetorically before chuckling. 

"Don't laugh," he pouts and kicks my shin lightly. 

"Okay. Okay. Sorry. Mmm, I snuck out too...but for another reason," I smiled in a good naturely way. 

"Oh...," he says as he fiddles with the edges of his clothing. 

"So, what's your name," I asked as I didn't ask him last time. 

"Kihyun," he says in a tone so low that I wouldn't have heard if I wasn't paying attention.

"I'm Hyunwoo," I replied and waited for him to say something but he doesn't. "Err, wanna see something cool," I asked. He nods hesitantly. I summoned my sword and then used my magic to make it soar through the air in an intricate pattern. After a minute or two, I looked back down at him to gauge his reaction. 

"Woah...you must be pretty strong, Hyung," he says out of amazement as he watched every move my sword made. 

"This is nothing," I stuttered as my chest not so subtly puffs out a bit out of pride. "Wanna see something cooler," I asked as I, for some reason, wanted to impress him. 

"Yes," he says excitedly.

"Close your eyes."

"...you're not going to pull a prank on me, right?"

"What? No."

"Oh...my brother usually does that when he asks me to close my eyes," he pouts. 

"I won't. Promise."

"Okay," he says uneasily before closing his eyes. I called for my sword to come back down so that it was right between us hovering above the ground. Then, I used my magic to expand it. When it did, I stepped onto it and then picked him up before putting him on the sword. He suddenly grabs onto me thus hugging me as he probably realized that he wasn't standing on the ground. 

"Keep your eyes closed until I say so, okay?"

"Okay," he says against my chest. I took a deep breath before using my magic to float us up to the roof of the nearby building. I jumped off the sword without letting him go as well as making my sword disappear before using my own agility to shift our bodies into a sitting position so that we would sit down on the top of the roof. I bit my lower lip to stop myself from grunting as the impact of my body hitting the top of the roof hurt. I should have used my powers to prevent that. 

"Can- Can I open my eyes now," he asks hesitantly. 

"Erm, yeah," I said. He leans back while still in my embrace and looks up at me through his long eyelashes. I inadvertently gasped at the way he was looking at me. No one has ever looked at me in that way. It strangely made my heart beat faster. Panicking, I moved him over so that he could sit down next to me before trying to calm down. Why am I feeling this way?

"Woah, it's so pretty up here," he says as he takes in the sort of bird's eye view in front of him. 

"It is," I said as I looked at him through the corner of my eye while smiling. The moonlight highlighted his facial features while making his hair glow ever so slightly. The bright smile on his face made me feel...warm inside. 

"Neh, hyung. Can we- Can we be friends," he asks softly while looking down at his hands. 

"Of course," I said without hesitating and ruffled his long dark locks affectionately.  

A/N: Might edit this later...