Ch. 5: Butterflies

Kihyun

We idly chatted as we waited for my wounds to heal. But, it was really just Hyunwoo talking while I made either short affirmative or non-affirmative responses as I watched him talk. He has been talking about funny stories that happened while he was training with his brothers in the army (A/N: Brothers in this context doesn't mean that they are his actual blood related brothers).  

"What about you?"

"Huh?"

"Any funny stories?"

"...well, there was this one time when my second sister and my third brother was about to sneak out to go play. I happened to see them attempting to go over the palace walls. At that time, I thought they were stuck or something. So, I went to get the palace guards and brought them over. When I came back with them, I told, "Hold on, Hyung and Noona. I got help. You're safe now." My siblings turned back and looked at me in disbelief before getting down from the items that they had piled up. After the palace guards were sure that the two wouldn't sneak out, they berated me for snitching on them. What did they expect? I didn't know any better and was practically a toddler then," I huffed after I recanted that episode. Even though this happened a long time ago, it still irks me when I recalled it. Stupid older siblings...

In the next second, I felt someone poking me between my brows. I swatted at the offending hand to only realize it was Hyunwoo. "You'll get wrinkles if you keep on making that face," he chuckles before returning to his sitting position from earlier on. 

"Eh? How," I asked genuinely as I never heard of this when I read my textbooks about health and what not. 

"Erm...it's something my father says to my mother when he goes to make up with her after they have a fight," he shrugs as if he didn't know what it meant either. 

"Oh...," I said and then wondered if my parents did that. 

"Anyway, let's go to the training grounds. I'll show you around first," he says before taking my hand and making us get off the ground at the same time. The second his hand interlocked with mine I felt a strange sensation  in my stomach like butterflies that are trapped in there and fluttering around. I'll have to ask mother what this feeling is. 

When he started to walk forward and I didn't budge, he turns to look at me and says with a questioning tone, "Kihyun?" There's that feeling again. What is that?

"Huh? Oh, I just zoned out. Let's go, Hyung," I beamed. He tilts his head to the side a bit as if he was analyzing me before a smile returns to his lips and he gestures toward the training ground with his chin. I smiled shyly in response before following him to the training grounds with my eyes straying down to our joined hands every five steps or so.