Ch. 17: The Distance Between Us (Part 1)

Hyunwoo

~the following night~

I felt a cold towel against my forehead. I subconsciously grabbed onto the hand that placed it there and said in a questioning tone, "Kihyun?" 

"Nope, it's just me...your friend, Jackson," Jackson says in response. I frowned and blinked rapidly after opening my eyes. When my vision cleared, Jackson moved the towel off my forehead and presumably tosses it into a bucket of water when I heard a plop sound. 

"What happened," I asked as my memory is still a bit foggy.

"You passed out and got a fever..."

"Oh..."

"But, more importantly, you were acting like a dumbass," he says in a serious tone which is odd for him to an extent as he is always a ball of energy and cheerfulness. 

"Excuse me," I asked as I propped myself up. 

"I was thinking about not saying anything since you are my superior but...you are first most my friend. So, I am going to tell you like how it is, Hyung," he pauses to look at me in the eyes before taking a deep breath. "I saw what happened. Between you and Kihyun," he starts to say before searching my eyes for something. 

In the next second, the memories of what had transpired between me and Kihyun appears in my mind once again. My heart aches in response. " I don't know everything that happened but that was not cool at all, Hyung. Even if he lied about being one of the imperial princes, you didn't have to treat him like that. That was a dick move. I get that he is on a different level then us but still... It doesn't mean that you guys can't be friends. That doesn't erase the fact that you guys are friends. You should go apologize, man," he says without looking away. 

"It isn't that simple..."

"Why isn't it that simple?"

"It is just...," I started to say before telling him how I put Kihyun in danger.

"Oh my god! Hyung, I understand why you feel responsible but it really wasn't your fault. You could not have known that there was going to be some assholes trying to kidnap Kihyun err the fourth prince," he says exasperatedly.

"But, it is because I asked him to go out on adventure with me. And, I shouldn't have let down my gu-," I began to ramble but Jackson holds up his hand to stop me. 

"Hyung...hmm, how should I say this? Ah, fuck it. Let's get real here. You are here acting like a victim when the person that is actually hurting right now is him and not you. I mean- Ugh- Words- You get what I mean, right? Or, do I need to spell it out for you," he exclaims.

"Do you think he will forgive me," I asked hesitantly as I picked at my blanket. 

"Why are you asking me? Go ask him," he says before getting up and leaving. But, just as he was about to open the door, he turns around and says, "Don't fuck this up, Hyung. He's a nice kid."