Ch. 18: The Distance Between Us (Part 2)

Hyunwoo

~the next day~

"Good morning, Father and Mother," I said in greeting to my parents who were eating breakfast. 

"Good morning, baby," my mother smiles before grabbing a bowl and filling it up with some soup and putting it in front of where I usually sit.

"I heard that you passed out while on the training grounds yesterday. Do you not know how to train yourself properly? I thought I trained you well," my father says without looking at me. 

"I did. I just-," I began to say but I heard a thud and then saw my father make a weird face before looking at my mother with a questioning look on his face. 

"Just be careful next time," he says with a slightly strained voice. 

"I will. I apologize for making you worry about me," I answered. My father makes a noise of approval before my mother starts to pile food onto the plate next to my soup bowl. 

"Hyunwoo ah, it's okay to train but it isn't okay if you overexert yourself," my mother says before saying, "Now, eat up. You can't do anything with an empty stomach." 

"Okay," I replied before drinking my soup. 

~after breakfast and after his father leaves to go to work~

"Mother?"

"Yes?"

"..."

"What is it? You can tell your mother anything."

"Err...hypothetically, if you said something insensitive and wrong to a friend, what do you do to get them to forgive you," I asked hesitantly. 

"Well, first, you have to realized  you were wrong to say such things and why what you said was wrong. Second,  you should apologize...preferably with a gift too. But, do not do it half-heartedly because that would mean that you're insincere, okay?"

"Alright...but what if they don't want to forgive you?"

"...Hyunwoo ah, if you can reach their heart, they will forgive you."

"Thank you, mother."

"Now, tell me what you did wrong so I can help you fix this."

"What? I just meant to ask about a hypothetical situation," I stammered. 

"Hyunwoo, we both know that it wasn't a hypothetical situation."

"How did you know," I asked slowly.

"Mother's intuition, of course," she laughs. 

"No, I can fix this myself. It wouldn't be sincere enough if I get help..."

"Okay, if you say so," she smiles before ruffling my hair.