Ch. 12: Gold Eyes

Hyunwoo

~fifteen minute later~

Gathering up some firewood took longer than I thought. I had to go a somewhat large distance to pick up enough firewood. Not to mention, I didn't have anything to hold it so I have to use my magic. Now that I manage to gather enough or at least what I thought was enough, I started to head back to where Kihyun and the horses were. 

As I walked back, I started to hum to myself, a habit that I picked up when I went on missions as I didn't really like silence. After five minutes, I heard a strange sound. I paused and looked around to see where it was coming from. The strange sound resounded again. It was then when I noticed that it was the birds of this forest shouting something.

Soon, I realized that they were trying to say something. But, there shouldn't be any animal or beasts nearby that reached enlightenment.  In the next second, I heard them saying, "Hy-"

"What are you trying to say," I asked while looking around aimlessly. 

"-yun," the birds say.

"Hy? Yun? What does that mean? Hy...Yun...Hyunwoo. My name," I said the last part loudly when I realized that they were saying my name. But, why are they saying my name? Did I fall into someone's trick? Wait- Kihyun has a nature affinity and the birds would sing when he laughs. Maybe, he can use them to say something too...Oh, no! Kihyun is in danger. A sense of  dred fills my body at this realization. 

"Haste," I said as I channeled my magic to my feet. A magic circle appears under my feet and then I could ran as fast as a cheetah at full speed with no time limit. Kihyun, hold on. Hyung is coming for you. I zip in and out between trees and even jumped over boulders and bushes that stood in my way. 

When I came close to the spot where I left him and the horses, I saw Kihyun yelling adamantly at his captors while beginning restrained by ropes that have anti-magic runes imbued onto it.  He has a black eye, a corner of his lips is busted and bruised, and there are cuts on his hands. Not to mention, there were scuff marks on his clothes which implied that they also attacked his torso. 

Rage fills me in the next second. How dare they touch him?! In the next millisecond, I channeled my magic throughout my body and used all of the boost skills that have been past down the God and Goddess of War lineage. Then, I summoned out my soul sword, a sword that is essentially an extension of myself as well as something that anyone with my lineage or a similar lineage can do rather than using the sword that is at my hip. 

To someone else's point of view, it would look like I disappeared from where I was earlier. But, in actuality, I moved so fast that one can't necessarily see with the naked and untrained eye. I slaughtered all but one, the one that is holding a sword to Kihyun's neck. 

The look in Kihyun's eyes made my heart hurt and boil at the same time. I never thought I would ever have to see such an expression on his face. "Let him go or else," I said through gritted teeth. 

"Cheh, I'll be the one who is making the demands here. Don't you realize the position that you are in right now," the criminal says confidently with a smug look on his face before tightening his hold on Kihyun.

"Hyung," Kihyun cries out as tears flow out of his amber colored eyes. With that single word, it felt like a needle pierced through my heart. 

"Now, throw down your sword and abolish your martial arts and your magic or else this pretty boy gets it," the criminal threatens.  Kihyun urges with me with his eyes to not do it and run. But, I just couldn't do it. 

"Fine," I said as I relinquished and willed my soul sword to disappear. I channeled magic to my right index and middle fingertips and went to abolish my martial arts and magic. Just as I was about to break one of my meridians, I hear Kihyun screaming, "No," and then a sudden burst of magic happens. 

I blinked rapidly and saw that Kihyun's eyes are now a blinding gold like he was being possessed by something. Next, a burst petals of light magic surrounds him, tearing off the ropes that restrained him, and throws the guy that was holding him hostage against the tree that was behind them. I stared at him in shock as I  have never seen him display such a large amount of magic. I didn't even fathom that he would be this capable from when I met him again after not seeing him since he was a newborn baby.

Kihyun turns around and raises his hand. A magic circle appears in front of his hand. The criminal now is shaking in his boots. "Wait, please! Don't kill me! I'm sorry. I was just followi-," he panics as he tries to explain himself. But, it was too late. Kihyun blew off his right foot with his magic. 

The criminal screams out of pain and desperately tried to run away as I stood there in stunned  silence not even realizing that I had stopped that magic at my fingertips and dropped my hand down to my side. Kihyun moves his hand up more and the same magic circle appears in front his hand. I got to stop him. 

I forced myself to move and ran over to him. I hugged him behind and said, "Stop, Ki. That's enough. You're not a killer. Don't stoop to his level."

"He- He was going to- I can't for-," Kihyun says in a strained monotone voice. 

"Ki, please! Stop," I pleaded with him. Suddenly, all strength leaves Kihyun and he starts to fall to the ground. But, I stepped back in order to make me fall first and take the brunt of the fall. I turned him over so that I can look at him. 

"Hyung," he says weakly as the blinding gold in his eyes fades and turns into his normal amber eyes. 

"I'm here, Ki. It's okay. You don't have to be scared anymore," I said in order to comfort him as I gently rubbed circle against his left hand. 

"You came for me," he says so softly that I almost didn't hear. 

"Always, Ki," I smiled at him. He smiles weakly at me before losing consciousness. The outburst of magic must have taken a huge toll on him in addition to what he had experienced...and it was on my watch. I can't believe that I let it happen. I gritted my teeth and looked up to see the criminal trying to get away. I glared at him and used my magic to send my magic sword over to him.

It imbeds itself right in front of his face not even an inch away. Seeing this, the criminal abruptly goes limp and passes out. I sighed out of relief before looking down at Kihyun, who is now sound asleep as if nothing bad just happened. "Ki, I promise that I will never let something like that happen again," I whispered to him as I absentmindedly brushed some of his bangs away from his face and put it behind his ear.