Ch. 4: Untitled

Kihyun

~a couple of months later~

Over the course of a few months since that night, I have been sneaking out to go hang out with Hyung because it was honestly quite stifling to be confined with the place that is supposed to be my home. Mother keeps pestering me to become more scholar like by having important figures in the Nine Heavens be my teachers. But, I just wanted to play like any other child. However, it wasn't like I half as-...err...neglected my studies. I just finish them earlier than my teachers expected. This helps to create times for me to sneak out and have some fun with Hyung.

Hyung wasn't always free when I snuck out so I sometimes have to settle for just watching him train at the Heavenly Army's training grounds. It was there where I realized that he is the God and Goddess of War's only son because of how the soldiers that weren't familiar with him addressed him as. I didn't expect Hyung to be from such a prestigious family but I always thought that he would reach high places.

Anyhow, it was fascinating to watch him spare with the others to say the least. During those times, I would create a sword out of my light magic and mimic their moves. Admittedly, I didn't get the hang of a lot of the moves right away like I usually would with my studies. But, I think my current martial arts skills aren't too shabby for someone who hasn't been practicing for a long time like those soldiers.

 Today, I waited until the guards went to the front of the palace before leaping over the walls surrounding it. I thought I was going to make it but I didn't jump high enough. I cursed under my breath as I thought to myself that I should have used my powers to boost me up. That way I wouldn't have ended up in this awkward position. 

I gripped on the top of the walls and using all the strength I had to pull myself over. Unfortunately, I used too much strength and fell onto the ground on the other side of the palace wall. I groaned out of pain and moved to a sitting position after pausing for a minute. I went to rub at my eyes but winced. I looked down at my hands to see that there are a few cuts. 

My eyes started water. Suddenly, I heard my second brother and third sister teasing me for being a crybaby in my head. Feeling angry at the recollection, I willed my eyes to stop the waterworks and stood up before taking the path I have been using to sneak out of the main part of the Nine Heavens. 

By the time I reached the training grounds, I was exhausted so I laid down in the shade of one of the trees that line the training grounds. I must have dozed off as I was suddenly woke up because something cold was pressed against my forehead. My eyes snapped open to look at my quote unquote assailant.

It was Hyung smiling with a cup of something in each hand. "Oh, thanks, Hyung," I said as I reached out to grab it but when I did so, pain shoots up my arm causing me involuntarily drop it. I gasped and said before hiding my hands from him, "I'm sorry."

"...you're hurt. Let me see," he says as he plops down next to me, placed the other cup down, and then holding out his hands. 

"No, I'm not," I lied. What the heck. It should have healed on its own already. Cheh.

"Kihyun," he says in a stern tone. I nodded wordlessly and held out my hands. He examines them before frowning. "You should be careful next time. You know I don't like it when you get hurt....Are these calluses from practicing sword fighting," he asks suddenly as he looks at me with a concerned but chastising look. 

"Would you believe me if I said it's from studying," I asked to which he looked at me with an unimpressed look. "Yeah," I mumbled under my breath. 

"You-," he pauses before sighing and then taking out an ointment from his pocket letting go of my hands. He opens it and takes some of it out with a finger before grabbing one of my hands and apply it directly onto the wound. I winced as it stung. Seeing that, he brings my hand up to his mouth and blows on it to make it feel better. 

I quickly tried to pull my hand out from his hold as the action made me feel...something that I never experienced before. But, he holds on to my hand and says, "Don't move." I pouted and nodded in response. He then applied the medicine to the other wounds before letting go of my hands. After he wiped his medicine covered finger onto his clothes and put the bottle of ointment away, he says, "Next time, you want to practice martial arts. Just come down to the training grounds. I'll teach you myself."