Ch. 19: The Distance Between Us (Part 3)

Hyunwoo

As I stood in front of the palace for the princes and princesses, my mouth becomes dry as I gripped onto the wooden contained of mung bean cakes and other pastries that my mom and I made as an apology gift for Kihyun. I took a few deep breaths before walking up to the gates. Just as I did, the heavenly imperial guards standing at the gates blocked me with their weapons. 

"Halt. State your business here and show  us your waist token," the guard on the left says while looking down at me with a slight look of distain. (A/N: In ancient times, waist tokens were a way to identify someone. So, they are basically ancient ID cards)

"Son Hyunwoo, son of the god and goddess of war, is here to see his highness, the fourth prince," I stated as I showed him my waist token that had my family's symbol on it. 

After the guard recognizes my waist token, he bows to me and says, "This lowly one greets the son of the nine heavens' guardians." The other guard says the same thing. Then, the guard says before turning around and going inside, "I will go inform his highness that you are here to see him."

"No need. I'll take him there," someone in white hanbeok and with intricate gold designs along the edges of the hanbeok and its sleeves. 

"This lowly servant greets his highness the crown prince," the guards said and bows deeper than they did to me. 

"Son Hyunwoo greets his highness the crown prince," I said and bowed to him by making a fist with my right hand and holding in front of my heart and bending at the hips 90 degrees. 

"Forgo the formalities," the crown prince says before gesturing to me to come in. 

"Yes, your highness," I said before standing upright and following the crown prince inside. The guards returned to their position. We walked down a path in complete silence. After a few minutes, we got to a pavilion. The crown prince takes a seat at the table while I remained standing as I hadn't received permission to sit down. 

"Please take a seat, Young Master Son," the crown prince says after nodding to the seat across from him. 

"Thank you, your highness," I said and sat down while putting the wooden container on the table. 

"So...you are the one who broke my baby brother's heart," he says without any hesitation with an eyebrow raised. I froze and stared at him as I was rendered speechless at his straightforwardness and I didn't expect him to know what happened between me and Kihyun. I hesitantly nodded. "Why did you do it," he asks. 

"I- I- I thought that it was the best thing to do at that moment. If I didn't suggest going outside the nine heavens, he wouldn't have had to experience such a thing and-," I  paused before rambling on and on how I felt guilty that he got hurt on my watch, etc. 

"Hmm, as much as I can understand where you are coming from, but have you considered how my baby brother would feel? Not to mention, you didn't even talk to him about your worries straight up. If he doesn't know your intentions behind your actions, then doesn't it make sense if he feels hurt by what you did to him," he says in a matter of fact kind of way. 

"...yes. That's why I am here to apologize to him," I smiled awkwardly. 

"Good. Now, I'll show you to his palace," he says after he and I engaged in a long stare down match as if he was trying to assess me.