Ch. 25: The Dragon and His Pearl

Kihyun

~after receiving Hyunwoo's kills~

When I looked back at him, I could tell that he is hesitating for some reason as he didn't go sit with his parents after giving me his kill. "Is something wrong," I asked as I tilted my head slightly.

"Hold out your hand," he said as he put his hand into his pocket. Wait, he isn't planning to scare me with a bug again, is he?

"You're not going to put a bug on my hand like you did last time, are you," I ask hesitantly as I looks at him suspiciously.

"Huh? It's not that. Come on. Hold out your hand," he snorted.

"Better not be," I pout before holding out my hand. Please don't be a bug. Please don't be a bug.

"Here. I- uh- picked it up on the way here ," he said after placing a spehereical object onto my hand and as he looked away while rubbing his nape with the other hand. I looked down at my hand and saw a luminous moon pearl shining back at me. A pearl?!?! Did he really just...propose to me? At this possible revelation, I blushed.

"Hyung, you -," I began to say but paused. Wait, does he even know that it is old tradition to propose with a pearl in the dragon clan? Probably not, right? He said he found it on the way here...He didn't plan on giving it to me. "Wah, it is so pretty. Thank you," I giggled at how silly I was being just now as I closed my hand around and squeezed it lightly.

"No problem," he replies as he smiles softly which made his eyes smile partly. My heart flutters after seeing this. I quickly turned around to prevent him seeing that I got flustered. "Ah, why do I keep feeling this way? He's my friend. It's not right," I thought to myself as I tried to calm my heart down but it seems to have a mind of its own as it kept its higher than normal heartbeat rate.

"Everyone, please return to your seats," the chief eunuch announces seconds later.

"I'll see you later. This subject will take his leave," he says as he bows to me and leaves to go sit down.

"Ah, okay," I said as I watched him leave before taking a seat myself. I glanced down at the hand that held the pearl and rolled it around in my hand.

"Why are you smiling like a pabo," my sister asks me suddenly.

"Huh," I said in a questioning tone before turning to look at her.

"You were smiling as you were looking at whatever is in your hand right now," she supplies.

"I was smiling...," I trailed off as I hadn't noticed that I was smiling.