27: Close Call

Jade was sitting with her back against the black wall, turning page after page, having nothing but focused tunnel vision on her book. She had already completed the worksheet, and the chapters, but she started it from the beginning. Tori was having a more difficult time focusing on her work. Three hours had passed and Tori, who is usually so quick with numbers was stuck in a loop of rereading the same problem over and over and collecting no new information.

"Ok, I can't do this."

Jade looked up from the book, "Can't do what?"

"We just, we did that, and now we are just sitting here two feet apart doing what we were before anything happened. It just feels, off." Tori said in haste, and needed to catch her breath after.

Jade folded the page and close the book, letting it sit on her lap. "Do you need more?"

Tori's eyes widened, "n...no" she stuttered.

"You seem really sure about that. We can watch a movie, instead." Jade suggested, setting the book near Tori's backpack.

"No, yeah, that's a good idea. Umm..."

"What is it?"

"Well, Cat told me I should ask you this, and you can totally say no and I won't be weird about it." Tori said nervously.

"You're being weird about it now. What's going on?"

"So, homecoming. It's tomorrow night, and I was thinking that, since you and Beck..." her voice trailed off, then gained back some confidence. "Well, since you guys aren't together anymore, I figured that I should..." Tori stopped again.

"Ms. Vega, are you at a loss for words right now?"

"I just— ahh, why is this so difficult."

Jade reached over and grabbed her hand. "Can I help you find these words?"

Tori nodded, breaking the eye contact Jade started.

"Are you wanting to ask me to go to the homecoming dance?"

Tori didn't say anything. She just continued looking down at their hands. Jade rubbed her thumb against the back of it trying to sooth these wild emotions.

"Did I find the right words?"

Tori finally nodded slowly, looking to match the piercing eyes.

"Why are you so nervous, darling? Do you really think I'm going to say no?" Jade whispered.

"So, is that a yes?"

"I'm not sure..." Jade said with a light chuckle. She got off the bed and walked to her closet. She pulled out the purple dress, "do you think this would work?"

"Jade, that's beautiful!" Tori stood up to level herself with the girl. Tori lifted the bagged dress to get a closer look at the designs. "You better say yes because I need to see you in this."

"Well, if you need to, then of course I'll go with you."

"You're such an idiot. You scared me. I thought you were gonna say no."

"I could never say no to you." Jade looked at Tori then down to her lips.

"Good, can we watch the princess bride?" Tori said with a smirk.

"Absolutely not."

"But you just said you could never say no to me!"

"I didn't say no. I said 'absolutely not'. I would rather peal off my skin than watch that movie." Jade said sternly. "But, we can watch a Marvel one."