29: Don't you Trust Me?

Jade locked the front door behind her and walked down to the end of her driveway. She looked both ways down the street and didn't see any sign of a car. She knew she was a bit early, so she walked along the curb, holding her arms out to balance herself. She walked the length of her front yard about three times before she heard an engine.

She looked down the road and saw the black Nissan. Tori smiled from the driver seat and rolled down passenger side window.

"I'm here to pickup a beautiful girl named Jade West. Do you happen to know her?"

"Ummm, I think she's a few houses down." Jade joked with a smile before reaching for the door handle of the back seat. She threw her backpack and and closed the door. Then she opened the front seat and buckled up. Jade rolled up the window as the morning air was pretty chilly.

"Hi." Jade said in awe of Tori.

"Hey, did you get any sleep last night?"

"Barely. I had trouble, but the text helped. Seriously, thank you for that." Jade said looking down at her fingers which were mindlessly playing with each other. She felt a little embarrassed that Tori knew to text her, but it was very sweet that she did.

"Of course, I would do a lot of things to you."

"For- for me?"

"Yup that too." Tori said quickly.

Jade blushed slightly and leaned over to give Tori a kiss on the cheek. Tori smiled, and put the car in drive and pulled off the curb. Tori's phone was connected through Bluetooth and Twenty-One Pilots was playing softly.

"I didn't know you listened to them," Jade said with a curious smirk.

"Yeah, I have for a while now. I found them out because of their blurry face album, but Regional At Best I think might be my favorite." Tori said, as Kitchen Sink started to play.

"Now this is an artist we can agree on."

"Oh really, you can't get behind listening to Justin Bieber each time I pick you up for school? Because if I can't listen to that man at least twice a week, you are more than willing to walk." Tori said, slowing the car down at the final stop sign toward the school.

"Well, on those days, Cat can drive me." Jade said, threatening to spend more time with her best friend rather than her girlfr—

It's just Tori.

Jade hasn't asked Tori that question.

Yet.

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh I woul—, Umm, Tori? You were supposed to turn right at the stop sign." Jade said confusingly, but she also understood that she's still new to town.

"Oh shoot, really?" Tori said, convincing Jade that she'd find a spot to turn around.

But Tori kept driving.

"Tori? Where are we going?" Jade looked over at her concerned.

"Just wait."

"Is this the thing you were planning? Making me late for school isn't a good plan."

"Relax, this is why I picked you up so early. School doesn't start for another 45 minutes."

Jade was looking around, trying to figure out where in town Tori was taking her. Tori finally pulled into a parking lot that Jade was familiar with.

The one from the park.

"What are we doing here?"

Tori unbuckled her seatbelt and motioned for Jade to do the same. "You'll see."

Jade unbuckled and opened her door. She looked around for any clues that would explain why they were here. It was just an empty parking lot. Jade closed the door and looked over at Tori already across the way heading through some trees on a path.

Tori turned back to Jade, "Don't you trust me?"

"Not even a little," Jade replied, but ran toward Tori anyway.

They walked up the path, dodging low-hanging branches, and prickly bushes. Along the way, Jade was finding some roses that had fallen off the rose bushes which outlined the path. More and more petals clouded the walkway, so much so that Jade couldn't see the gravel.

As they kept walking, Tori grew more and more nervous and Jade took her hand.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, just excited is all."

Tori pulled Jade's hand so that Jade was closer to her. Then she guided her in front of herself so that Tori was trailing behind Jade. Jade kept walking until she found her favorite ledge.

Leaning against the big oak tree was a huge sign which read:

"Cupcake, it'd be really sweet with you went to homecoming with me."

Jade couldn't say anything.

She just smiled and looked at Tori.

"I know big corny signs aren't really your style, but I felt like my ask last night was just—"

Jade cut her off by brining her into a passionate kiss. Jade couldn't stop smiling which made Tori's heart settled only a bit of the nerves she's been holding in all morning.

"Don't be an idiot," Jade said breaking the kiss and letting her arms drape over Tori's shoulders. "I love it."

She kissed her again.

Tori drifted away from Jade and lifted the sign a bit to reveal a big bouquet of white lilies.

"I know how much you love them." Tori said, walking back to Jade, holding the flowers out to her.

"Symbol of Death." Jade said, observing the soft petals moving slightly in the wind. "I don't want them right now." Jade announces dropping the flowers to the ground.

"I'd rather live. Because right now, life is pretty great."

Jade grabbed Tori's waist and kissed her on the nose. Tori picked up the sign and the two girls headed back toward the car leaving the flowers on the pavement of the ledge near the oak tree.