15: Raw

"Please, I need a ride to Lake Flyer."

Jade rushed to get herself into a more presentable manner; touching up her makeup and combing the hair she ran her fingers through many times.

Cat would be here in ten minutes, and Jade couldn't wait inside anymore. She left everything where it was and rushed to the door. Her foot wouldn't stop tapping on the concrete below her and when Cat pulled up, it seemed like not even a second went by and she was already buckling in.

"What's the rush? It's just a lake. Plus, I packed us a lunch!" Cat shrieks excitedly and turns in her seat to gesture to the woven basket.

"Cat, just drive."

Jade was physically quiet, but the nervousness her aura was giving off was like a freight train. Her legs were shaking, and she was actually biting her nails, a bad habit she hasn't done in years.

It's just Tori. You see her everyday. Granted, you've only known her for two days, but still.

Jade was nervous to say the least. Last time she was up there on that ledge, she almost jumped off. So, what was Tori doing there? Was she wanting to do the same thing? Has she already done it?

"You know what, pretty bird, it was never gonna work out between me and her. It was too quick, and totally impulsive, so logically, nothing would've have grown there." Tori was says, convinced that the blue jay perched just a few feet away could actually understand her.

I've been hanging out with Cat too much.

Tori accidentally moves too quickly, and the blue jay flys away.

Tori, of course, took this as a metaphor, "I need to move on, just like you pretty bird. See you around!"

Tori, then, immediately felt lonely. The loss of the bird stung her soul. She realized that Jade would never truly be with her, and that even trying to make it work, would make things worse.

Tori wanted to stand up from the ledge, but she couldn't. She felt herself being drawn to it. A magnetic pulse was pulling her nearer and nearer. What could she do, but give herself up to this force?

"Something 'bout you makes me feel like a dangerous wom-" Cat's voice gets cut off by Jade pressing the off button on the radio.

"HEY! I like that song! You know, I was thinking about writing something similar to it. Would that be plagiarism?"

"Cat, I literally couldn't care less. Now, please be quiet." Jade snaps at Cat.

Surprisingly, Cat refuted this silencing.

"What is wrong with you? Obviously, something has been off with you this week. You should be happy right now. Beck sang you the apology song and Andre was-"

"CAT!! I DON'T CARE ABOUT BECK AND HIS STUPID SONG!! I CARE ABOUT TORI!!"

Jade's face goes pale.

She said it. Out loud.

I care about Tori.

Cat looks over from the windshield to Jade. Her entire body language changed. Instead of being nervous, Jade looked scared.

Raw.

"I... I care about her, Cat. I need to know if she's okay."

"Okay," was all Cat said, as she pulled into the parking lot.

Jade recognized Tori's car, so that was confirmation that she was definitely here. Jade jumped out of the car, and ran over to it. No one was inside, like she suspected, hence the Instagram photo. There was only one trail that lead to the ledge. Jade looked around for the entrance, and once she spotted it, she ran.

Ran through the trees and under low branches, dodging plants with thorns on the way.

Tori edged closer and closer.

She would never actually go through with it, but it was so tempting. Finally, she backed away, crawling on her hands and knees. She kept going until her back hit a tree. She curled up and started to cry.

Everyone fantasizes about dying every once and a while. It's the freedom that death brings which is so entrancing.

Tori sits, hugging her knees trying to rationalize her behavior. Each new thought, brings more pain and eventually Tori just couldn't take it. She looked up from the ground and back to ledge.

Jade weaves herself through the trees trying to remember which way to go. It has been a while since she needed to come up here, and the trees have grown since then.

She finally finds the opening gap, and slowly walks through the threshold. She doesn't see Tori, but she has to be near by.

Before moving on to the next ledge Jade knows off, she hears a sniffle. Jade slowly walks back the the opening and walks in a little further. Tori is sitting against a tree just looking blankly over the ledge, like she's trying to make a wish.

It would be so so easy. It's a small jump with one consequence.

"Don't" spoke the familiar voice