13: Invisible Heartbreak

Flowers in one hand and Tori's arm in the other, Jade drags Tori out of the library and into the hallway leaving Beck alone by the table. Once around the corner, and out of sight of Beck, Jade releases the girl's arm and stares straight into her eyes.

Tori shifts in her Converse and suddenly forgets how to use her hands. She wants to cover her face with them but then figured that would prove that she's uncomfortable with the attention she's getting. So she figures leaving her arms at her side would look more natural.

".... ummm so, nice flowers you got. That was sweet of your boyfriend..."

"Tori, I know that this is really awkward and that you feel weird about this. I'm feeling the same thing. So, I'm thinking we forget this ever happened and move on. It was a spur of the moment decision so it didn't mean anything." Jade speaks with a stronger voice than the cowering girl before her.

"Yeah, no. That's... Uh... a good plan. Yeah, never happened," Tori says and reaches her hand out.

"What are you doing?" Jade asks declining the promise-handshake.

Tori quickly lowers her hand. "Nothing... it doesn't matter." Tori turns around directing herself toward her locker but before she could leave and hand touches her shoulder turning her back around.

"Uhm... I'm not... you know... I'm not gay or anything." Jade says missing the eye contact between them even though she feels Tori's eyes burning into the top of her head.

"Yeah, of course not. Don't worry about it." Tori says, the words speeding out of her mouth but not as fast as her feet taking off for her locker.

Jade was left alone.

Again.

— —

The final bell of the day rings and Jade couldn't wait to get out of this stupid fucking class. What's the point of learning about old computers if old computers don't exist anymore? Packing up her things, she was approached by Cat. Cat and Jade always walked out of this class together and headed for Jade's locker first.

Before they could get to Jade's locker, Jade sees Tori down the hallway coming towards them. Tori's locker happens to be right next to Jade's but they never crossed paths.

Tori usually gets to her locker after she sees Jade leaving the building but today she wanted to leave as fast as she could. Seems like Jade had the same idea.

Unfortunately, the girls had to load up their backpacks shoulder to shoulder which of course wasn't awkward at all.

Cat was chatting to Jade about her brother. Something about a lot of clowns, 15 chainsaws but it didn't matter. Jade was to focused on the deafening silence.

It didn't mean anything. The kiss didn't mean anything, the dream didn't mean anything. Tori... doesn't mean... anything.

"Yeah, so he ended up in the special school for damaged girls." Cat finished up her story.

"Wait, the special school for damaged girls? Why would he go there?"

"To meet damaged girls."

Defeated, Jade lead Cat out of the school after slamming her locker. They walked out the front door and Beck was standing there. He held a single rose.

"What are you doing, babe?" Jade asked.

"Well, I know that the dance means a lot to you, so I figured I should probably make up for not understanding why you poured a milkshake on my head. HIT IT ANDRE!" Beck yells to his buddy, and Andre flips a switch on the keyboard.

Music starts pumping through the air and Jade couldn't help but smile.

Seeing his girlfriend dancing to his music and smiling so wide, made Beck's heart fill. He knew that this was enough to win her back. The flowers and the music. Plus, the new girl really helped him out. Teresa or was it Terry? He couldn't remember but she gave him the idea for the song in 7th period.

He looked over to the brunette watching from behind the food truck, and gave her a thumbs up.

Tori gave him a shy one back, before heading to her car. It felt like she couldn't breathe. Jade was strangling her and she didn't even know. Tori leaves the parking lot and heads home, tears rushing down her face.