That Friendly Alpha [9]

The next day went by like a blur much to my happiness. Two classes were cancelled and the last lesson was basically just the students doing our own work.

Jayson had asked me this morning if I was still going to ride with him to school like he had said on Friday night but I politely rejected and said that Bernard will be fetching me. Jayson seemed to let it go and didn't question anything. He looked absolutely normal. But I had lied about Bernard fetching me so I had to ride my bicycle the longer route so that Jayson wouldn't see me.

I didn't see Jayson at all throughout the day in school until I got back home and was about to get a drink when Mom approached me.

"The Alpha has been there since morning," Mom said and pointed to the lake which can be seen from the window of the kitchen.

"He didn't go to school?" I asked.

"He did but he went back home an hour later and he has been sitting there, not moving at all."

"I'll go see if he's doing fine," I stated but Mom quickly stopped me.

"What if his mood is up to no good?"

"Mom, it's okay. I'm sure it's nothing so serious. He's my friend anyway," I assured her and she slowly let go of my hand that she had grabbed while stopping me.

I walked as silent as possible until I was just behind Jayson. His back was to me and I thought of tapping his shoulder but I didn't want any touching going on so instead, I said his name.

"Jayson?"

He reacted about two seconds slow and when he turned around and saw me, he turned back around and then acknowledged me, "Promise."

I knew instantly that there was something wrong but I couldn't put my idea into it. Was it about yesterday - about knowing me and Bernard getting together? But he was fine about it this morning.

"Can I sit here?" I asked, not really showing where.

"Sure," he replied nonchalantly.

I sat down next to him, crossing my leg and made sure that there was a sufficient space between us to avoid any skin-touching.

"Are you okay? My mom told me that you have been sitting here all day. Is there a problem that you know... you want to share?" I started.

He only remained silent and I thought that I had come at the really wrong time. Maybe he needed time alone

"Well if you need your time alone, I can leave," I said and was about to leave when Jayson finally spoke up.

"It's not really a problem. I'm just... I don't know, I got a little bit emotional today. Look what love can do to people."

"What do you mean?"

"I found out this morning that Jenna has found her mate," Jayson said, telling me about his sister.