That Friendly Alpha [3]

"Err... what is it about Alpha?" I asked, nervously.

"I said, call me Jayson," he reminded me again and this time his voice sounded really really loud and stern.

"I'm sorry, Jayson," I apologized. I had never seen this angry or perhaps very very upset side of Jayson and it was making me feel upset at the same time.

"It's okay. I'm sorry too, for raising my voice," he said, soon after and I just nodded.

"What is it that you need to talk about?" I asked because the curiosity was killing me.

"Leah found her mate," he stated and his voice was full of sorrow and I could feel his sadness pierced through my heart. He was indeed really really sad and I felt bad about it.

"Erm, aren't you her mate?" I asked, trying to play dumb because I still didn't want him to suspect anything.

"No... we're not mates no matter how much I wished for her to be mine," Jayson said and I felt my heart breaking. Jayson totally loved Leah but it wasn't like it's Leah's fault that she had found her mate.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"I kept telling myself on my way back from school earlier that it is fine because we've told each other that if we found our mates in the future when we're together, we shouldn't feel bad or sad or heartbroken because our relationship was more of like a fling as we enjoyed each other's accompany very much. But it's just so hard even though she informed me, calmly and politely," Jayson told me and then his index finger and thumb went to massage his own temples.

"Oh, she did?"

"Yes. She and Mark, her mate waited for me at my car after school and she told me that they are mates. I said my congratulations and she told me that we have discussed about this before and she hoped that I wouldn't hold any grudges or anything like that. And of course I said it was fine even though it's not. But, what can I do?" Jayson frowned and his hands flew around as he talked. I knew Mark, a member of our pack as well. He was friendly and can be quite of a joker but not the playboy or flirty kind of person. And even though it can be quite saddening for Jayson, I must say that Leah and Mark; they both deserved each other.

"Well I've heard of this saying along this line that you'll always hope for happiness for the one you love even though you're not involved in it. I know you love Leah, but we all know that as werewolves, we would all be so much happier when we're with our mates. So you shouldn't feel upset about letting her go or losing her because she's happier now and one day, you will too," I told him in an advising tone but I could hear my wolf groaned at the very last part. I never really knew if I should ever be truthful to Jayson about who I am but even if I didn't, Jayson would still find his happiness one day.

"Thanks, Promise. I just had to let it all out. You know... I can't just keep it to myself and let it kill myself slowly on the inside."

"I understand. I suggest right now, you get a cold drink and then rest in your room."