That Friendly Alpha [17]

I received a light knock on my door. I was just done getting ready very very slowly because I didn't really want to join in what was gonna happen shortly.

I didn't say anything but the door croaked open and Jayson popped his head in. "Promise?" He called.

I didn't reply but Jayson carried on while entering my room, "Everyone's about done. We're gonna start the funeral ceremony soon."

I remained silent. I didn't know how to respond. I wasn't ready. I felt like if I were to join the ceremony, I was ready to let my Dad go when I actually wasn't ready at all. I knew I couldn't hold him back and it pained me to know that I couldn't either hold or let him go.

"Promise, if you don't wish to join, its okay," Jayson said. He took a seat next to me on the bed. One of his hand wrapped around my shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I can stay here with you."

"No," I finally said, "You go on. I wanna stay in here."

"You sure? I can..."

"I'm fine Jayson. I just can't face this yet," I told him truthfully. Jayson looked at me and then sighed. Slowly, he nodded and then got up. Before he left the room, he leaned down and kissed me on the temple.

* * *

I still remembered the few things that Dad told me before I decided to run away from the pack, from Jayson. He told me to stay strong and to pull through everything that would come in my way. He said it like he knew he wouldn't be able to advise me like that anymore later on. It was his last advice.

But I couldn't be strong and pull this altogether when I knew that Dad has passed away because of me. If Bernard and I weren't very close since the start, Jenna wouldn't have gotten jealous until now that she had to leave the house sulking. Then Dad wouldn't have come into the picture for trying to take the arrow for Jenna.

I was crying heavily by now and I wanted nothing more than to let my wolf out. I wanted her to be free, claw as many trees as she want just as long as I could get all of this mixed feelings - anger, disappointment, upset - out of me.

But as soon as I opened up my door, it was Jayson's turn to give his last speech for Dad in the living room. I wanted to carry on with my plan but I couldn't bring my legs to continue walking.

And then Jayson started to speak, "Mr Bridges had been one of our most loyal and best fighter, gardener, guard - you name it. He never really stick to one job assigned but gladly helped among us with our duties without complaining. Losing him is definitely a loss to this pack. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time working with him but I've seen how my Dad have trusted him in handling a lot of things in this pack house. And just like how all of us have trusted him, he now trusted his daughter with me.

Sir, I want you to know that I will never take Promise, your daughter, for granted. Like I have told you sir, you have my words that I will take care of Promise and she will be safe under my care. I may have hurt her but I promise upon you that that will be the last mistake I make. Rest in peace, Sir. Again, you have my words that I will take care of Promise forever."

At the end of Jayson's speech, I almost felt as if a burden was lifted off my shoulder and I didn't know why I was feeling like that. Probably because I was just being assured that I would be taken care of now that Dad was no longer here. But as soon as I was about to make another step, I fell off to the ground. I felt some pain but most of it were numb.

And I heard Jayson's voice loud and clear calling my name.

* * *

"She's just basically tired which I understand. When she's awake later, just make sure she eat ample of food and gave her these vitamins."

"Yes Neil, thank you very much."

"No problem, Alpha. If there's anything, do call me up again."

"Will do, thanks."

I've been listening to the conversation but I didn't want to open my eyes yet due to the soothing massage I received on my forehead. I couldn't think of anyone else other than Mom who would have done so to me.

Slowly opening my eyes, I met Mom's worried expression. But as soon as she saw me looking at her, her frown turned into a smile.

"Promise, are you feeling better?" Mom questioned. She stopped massaging my forehead and cupped my face.

"Yes Mom," I answered hoarsely, "Are you okay Mom?"

"I am fine. It's you. You need to eat..."

"I'm not talking about health. Are you alright? How are you feeling now that Dad's..."

"I'm fine Promise. I never lie to you right? I am fine. It's painful at first but to think back, Dad and I have shared a fair share of time together. I will miss him for sure, but I can't hold him back. Now if Dad sees you like this, he will be upset. I'll get you some food okay?"

I just nodded. I couldn't find words to reply as I tried to swallow the lump in my throat. Mom had always been so strong. Even though she looked tough on the outside, she never showed how she always felt on the inside. Dad must have been proud having Mom as his mate. Even when Dad's gone, Mom still looked fine like she hadn't gone through anything. Mom is so strong. I need to be like her.

"Promise?"

I turned around at the sound of Jayson mentioning my name and that was when I realized that I wasn't in my room. I quickly got up into a sitting position but instantly regretted it as soon as I felt blood rush into my brain.

"Hey, stay down. You're still very weak. I'll feed you once your Mom bring some food up," Jayson said. He was instantly by my side, on the bed that I was lying on.

"Ummm, up?"

"Yes, up. You're in my room. I put you in here so that you'll get a fresher air and so that I can check on you often," Jayson explained.

"But I'm perfectly fine staying in my room," I said defensively.

"I know, but it's hard for me to check on you if you're downstairs and I'm upstairs. Plus, I'd be happy if you just stay here Promise," Jayson added. I knew what he meant at the last part but I wasn't ready to talk anything about mates with him yet. "I'm not sure if this would be the right time or not but Promise, why didn't you tell me that we're mates?"

I turned away from him. I was waiting for Jayson to be angry at me for keeping this as a secret but that never came since yesterday. I was wondering if I had thought wrongly of Jayson - that he actually wouldn't get mad at me for keeping this as a secret.

"Promise, you're not rejecting me are you?" Jayson asked and I could hear the worry and sadness in his voice. "Promise, I've been waiting for you since forever and you know that. Please... don't tell me that you're rejecting me. We can start slow if you want. Just please, don't reject me. We...we could work something on together."

I remained silent. Did I want this? Of course I wanted this and I wanted Jayson but there were a lot of other things other than just us being soul mates.

"Promise, please. Please don't reject me," Jayson said again and this time he sounded begging.

zY1'+