Chapter 20

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 20

Aiden

I've got a real date with Riley at last. Even if the family is with us, it's still a date. I've got her sitting next to me in the car. The music is playing, voices are talking randomly around us about classes, family and sports, we're all glad it's the weekend.

But Riley is quiet.

Taking her hand in mine, I give it a squeeze to get her attention. I know she's had a shitty day and I want to finish the rest of the night better for her. Riley's head leans to my shoulder and I know she needs me especially tonight.

I didn't get a chance to find out if she got the foundation check and didn't want to bring it up in front of the family. Riley didn't mention anything to me so I'm guessing she hasn't gotten it yet. I'm going to make a point of talking to the curator of the foundation tomorrow, just to be sure that Grandma's orders were followed.

Not that anyone doesn't do exactly what she wants but I know when she made the call. I know she wanted it rushed and that was a couple weeks ago. Riley should have gotten the check by now. Something isn't right.

The lot is full but it's a nice night and I don't mind walking with my girl. We park in the far lot and head through the cars. Recognizing a few, I'm guessing that the cheer squad is on a shopping frenzy in the mall, boy do I feel bad for those sales people. Then I see several of the baseball players' cars that won't be good if Mattox is here.

The theater is busy, as usual, for a Friday night. Taking Riley's hand, I lead her into the door and buy tickets for all of us. It's the only sure way I know she won't try to pay her own way. We walk through to the lobby and back to the theater the movie is in and search the filling room to find seats together.

We end up taking three rows of seats to sit, sort of, together. Sawyer, Roan and Colby take the first row of our seats, Harper, Landon and Emery in the second and Riley, Hunter and Wyatt, and I grab the last. We're in the middle of the seats and sandwiched between a ton of people.

The girls agree to save our seats while Harper, Sawyer and I go out to grab snacks. I thought I'd be able to get away with this for Riley too but she quickly dug into her purse and offered up two twenty's immediately to help pay. "Here Aiden, you paid for the tickets. The least I can do is pay for snacks."

"We're on a date, Riley. I want to pay for it." I understand she doesn't want to owe anyone but it's not like that for me. I want to take my girl out, to treat her to a night on the town. I don't expect anything from her out of it. The idea that she's either experienced this or feels this way really bothers me.

"You did. I just want to pay for the popcorn and if you could get me a box of chocolate?" She smiled sheepishly at me. I know it's her weakness.

"Fine, but I'm choosing the candy." Pocketing the money, I go on out with Sawyer and Harper laughing at me.

I feel like an idiot. Like I can't afford to take her out once in a while without her paying for it. It's definitely not the case and I know she knows that. I think she had a bad experience with a guy and that's why this is such an issue for her.

Blake and Grandma have both made a point of reminding me that Riley isn't the kind of girl who's with me for my money or my name. I know that, more at times like this than any. And I know that this is Riley's way of reminding me of the same thing. She doesn't want me to think that way of her. I don't, but it doesn't make this any less frustrating.

Hearing the laughter from the guys as we walk out only makes me cringe. It's an oddity for any of us to have anyone insist on paying their way. In fact, it's usually the opposite and they think we should pay for everything. After all, we are billionaires. I'm not sure any of us would handle this well.