Epilogue

This is the last chapter of the book. I hope you enjoyed it. Thank you for reading.

Epilogue

Aiden

I missed the combine and watched the draft alone in my room. My chance for the NFL this year is gone. After several long talks with Blake and Matt, a heart to heart with Riley and Emma, I accepted the deal with Arizona. Every one of my family agrees that I will work my ass off to get an active first string position when I'm healthy again.

I have to if I want to ever play again. Riley has decided to go back to Arizona when the school year is up. She has her own decisions to make about the diner and school. It's killing her to have to make these choices. The hard decisions aren't easy but we have to do what's right for each of us.

The one decision that was easy was that we want to be together.  So my rehab is going to be in Arizona. I'm going to stay with Riley in her childhood home and help her run the diner. I might not be able to cook or wait tables but I can keep the books and inventory. I'll learn to do anything else.

Grandma is determined to help too. She's investing in the diner, in us. She says she wants to get into the food industry and this is her chance. She's redoing the interior, updating the kitchen and overhauling some of the menu by giving Riley some of her own recipes. I think she just wants her hand in the pot to make sure we succeed. I believe in Riley, she's just like Grandma, she won't fail.

Grandma never fails in anything she's done. Including, maybe especially, when she throws a party. And she's thrown some doozies. Tonight is no exception. Sarah and Laney have been putting in a lot of hours making sure this gala goes off without a hitch. Grandma won't settle for anything less than spectacular.

Dad's hearing is this morning, we have our final exams in the coming weeks, and the big spring foundation fundraiser bash tonight. We tried to talk her out of it, given the circumstances, but once Grandma makes her mind up, there's no changing it. She refused to change her plans stating that Dad has screwed up enough over the years, she won't allow him to ruin this too.

I don't blame her for being frustrated with him. He really messed up. I just don't care anymore. Both of my parents seem to think they can make my decisions for me and I've had enough. I'm an adult, they can't do anything but take my inheritance away. I doubt Grandma will allow that to happen but if it does, I don't care. I'll just work at the diner with Riley.

We'll make it work.

Grandma insisted we take a limo to the courthouse this morning. I'm glad she did. Driving up, we see the media crowded around the parking garage entrance waiting for us. I hate driving through these crazies. One of them inevitably steps in front of the car every time. I bet they do that shit on purpose too. Anything for a photo opportunity.

"Why are there so many reporters out here? Shouldn't they be in the courtroom?" Riley is stunned by the turn out. I hate to tell her that this crowd is just the tip of the iceberg of what is ahead of us. She'll learn soon enough that this is a mild media event for my family.

I'm not surprised the press is here. It's a juicy story and has been headline news since Dad's arrest went public. Riley has stayed safe and secure at Grandma's house since she got back from Arizona. She hasn't been around campus, where the rest of us have been getting the third degree, stalked at every turn. Even at practice, I'm getting the scattering of media.

"Bradford's are big news." I grumble, watching the mass start to swarm the car. "Don't worry about them, I'll be with you the whole time. You don't have to make a statement. We'll just walk straight into the courthouse and ignore all of them."