Chapter 39

Thank you for reading, there is one chapter left! Enjoy

Chapter 39

Riley

After avoiding everyone in Georgia's house for a week, I finally determined I need to get out of the bed, get a much needed shower, and face the fact that I'm on my own now. Dad is gone and my laying in bed, denying this, isn't helping me. I've missed classes. Fortunately, Hunter and Aiden have been turning in my work - that I didn't do - for me. They're doing everything to keep me on track.

I've binge watched Vampire Diaries and The Originals, despite that I've watched both in their entirety several times. I cried when the characters died, reliving my own misery. Wishing that, like the characters, my dad could come back to life.

Georgia and Cade have helped me press charges against Adam. As hard as this was for me, I know it was double for Georgia. Adam has done so much damage to his family. He doesn't appreciate the people who love him and want him to change his ways. Aiden held my hand, as did Georgia, when I talked to the police. My heart broke for all of us.

Today, I have to say goodbye to my Dad. We are laying him to rest here in California, instead of home. Georgia has taken care of all the arrangements and he will be laid in the Bradford's mausoleum in the cemetery. Georgia insists that is where he belongs.

"Family is who you chose to be in your life. A family is about love and respect, appreciation and friendship. Blood doesn't fit in that equation. You and Ben are one of us now." Georgia said to me, when I fought her on the burial.

She's sent the plane to Arizona to pick up Fran and a few of Dad's friends. She's housing everyone, dealing with the cost of the burial, the memorial, and she has insisted that I move into the house with her and Jim until I've got my feet under me again. I don't know how I can ever repay her for everything she's done for me.

Walking to the large bay window, I look out at the lush green yard and the chop of waves in the distance. We're in for quite a storm tonight. That's okay, the gray clouds match my mood. I have no choice today but to put on a fake face and deal with saying goodbye.

I don't know how to do this. I don't want to be around people. I don't want to hear how sorry they are, I don't even know what to say to these people who want to politely ask if I'm okay. Do I tell the truth or lie and say I'm fine?

Stepping into the hot shower, with water pounding down on my stressed out body, I leaned my arms against the wall, and resting my forehead to my arm, finding myself numb inside. I've cried for a week, I don't have anything left in me to cry out. I feel hollow, empty.

I just need to get through the day. Drying off, I brush out my hair, brush my teeth and make myself look human again. I don't bother with makeup, I don't wear it that often anyway. Besides, why waste the time on it when I'll just cry it off. Pulling out the black dress Hunter brought me and the borrowed black heels from Colby, I pull my hair back in a long tail and take a long look at the reflection of someone I don't recognize in the mirror.

The dress is a little big here and there, I've not eaten well and have lost weight. The shoes feel foreign to me. I don't usually wear heels, I've rarely had an occasion to wear them. My life has revolved around school and the diner. Neither place is conducive for high heels.

Turning away from the stranger in the mirror I look around the luxurious room I've holed up in. The soft comfortable bed, bigger than any bed I've ever slept in, the soft cool sheets that feel like a silk hand against my skin. The large fireplace and loveseat meant for quiet nights to read and relax.

This has all been offered to me. No strings, no conditions have been required. Georgia feels guilty and is kind enough to set aside her own pain to help me through mine. I know my being here is a hard reminder of what her son has done. Still. Georgia is willing to share her world with me.