Chapter 38

Thank you for reading Enjoy there are only two chapters left in this book!

Chapter 38

Hunter

I had to get away from my family. I'm disappointed, annoyed and disgusted with my uncle. How could he do this? In what way did he think killing Riley's dad was okay? Or even justified? It's not. Murder for any reason isn't a justification for anything.

He was drunk on top of it. That just makes it worse.

I need to clear my head. Going down the steep steps of the cliffs, I hike down to the private beach behind my Grandparents house. We have spent most of our lives here. Family BBQs, holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, every excuse to get together, we come here.

It's cool and overcast today. The waves are high, crashing onto sand. White frothy water rushed over my bare feet as I walked along the shoreline. This is my place. I love the water, the sand, the sound and smell of the ocean. It's calming and relaxing, and just what I need after today.

I just want some peace.

Sitting down on a large piece of driftwood, I watch the waves rush toward me and pull away. Over and over, I let the water take my stress away. Digging my toes into the cool wet sand, I take several long deep breaths and feel the knots that have formed in my shoulders, neck and head slowly ease.

I want to escape this crazy ride I've been on this year. I need to talk to my dad. He bought the island for my mom. A romantic wedding gift so they could escape the press, and the crazy world we live in. I've been there many times in my life. From the time I was born, we've vacationed there. I want that serenity now.

The tropical breeze, the crystal clear blue water. Swimming with the fish through the reef, finding shells along the beach. No stress, no responsibilities, no worries. We all need it at some point in our lives.

"I thought I'd find you here." His soft voice brought me out of my thoughts. "You always come down here when you get stressed out. How bad is it?"

Wyatt takes a seat next to me and pulls off his sneakers, socks and digs his toes into the sand. Leaning back on his elbows, he raises his face to the sky and soaks it in.

"Bad, really bad. Poor Riley. She must hate this family. She's had nothing but stress and hate from Adam and Chloe has been no help at all. She should have supported Aiden and his choice but of course she has no spine and refuses to back him or Riley. It fucking ridiculous. I've never hated anyone, even Leighton, but I hate Adam for what he's done." Venting to Wyatt helps. I need to get this off my chest and he asked.

"I don't think you're alone in that feeling. No offense but I'm glad I'm not related to him." Wyatt bumps his shoulder to mine. "You know you can talk to me about everything. It'll stay between us, I promise, Hunter. I won't tell a soul."

Of all of my cousin's friends, Wyatt is the one I trust the most. He doesn't gossip, he keeps to himself, he respects women more than anyone I know. Dillon and Bailey raised an amazing man. One that thinks of me like a sister and he just said it. He doesn't want to be related to this family. I can't blame him. Right now, I don't want to be related to them either.

"I know. Thanks, Wyatt." Watching the waves roll up the sand, we sat in silence.

"Aiden loves her, you know." I murmur more to myself than to Wyatt. "He was so upset when he realized she wasn't at the game for him, it screwed up his head, messed with his focus. Williams took advantage of his distraction and Aiden paid the price. He might not have a football career now. What's that going to do to his relationship with Riley?"