Chapter 33

Thank you for reading Enjoy!

Chapter 33

Aiden

And so we wait.

Patience isn't my strongest attribute. I like the immediate payoff, instant gratification, knowing what is going to happen is the way I want it. Sitting here twiddling my thumbs, with no control on the outcome, isn't the way I do things.

Not that I have any say in this

I can't imagine how Jim feels right now. He's been my Grandpa for most of my life. He's as much family to me as Blake. He's a rock. Seriously. He's been here for all of us. Encouraging us, supporting us, and now it's our turn.

Emma and Chelsea are on either side of him. Laney and Tess are taking care of Viv and Cade and Lance are supporting Alan. My other grandparents. I see them as much as the rest of the family. Even if Viv and Alan aren't as outspoken as Grandma, they are as steady and rock solid as she is. But today that rock feels like it's cracked.

None of us are steady. All of us are on edge, jumpy and nervous, because the woman who holds us together is under the knife and all we can do is wait. Bradford's don't wait well.

Jake and Grace are able to observe the surgery and are checking in with us. I guess that's some consolation, knowing family is at least in there with her. Georgia would know they're there, just like she's known everything else we've ever done. I wonder how much she knows about what Dad's done and if she's tried to do anything about it.

Mom went in to see Grandma before the surgery. She was the last one Grandma talked to. I never saw her come back to the waiting room. It's like she just disappeared. Maybe Grandma said her piece and told Mom to leave. I can't see that, but it's possible.

Blake would know about that, he'd tell me. Looking up, I see the man who I've looked up to my entire life go over to Jim. Take him into a hug and nod. Emma rose as they released each other and hugged Blake next as she ran her hand up and down Jim's arm. Comforting him, consoling him and doing what's expected as the head of the family now.

We'll all be looking to them now. Blake and Emma are going to lead this family for Georgia. She chose well for her replacement. Emma is a mirror image of Grandma, and Blake he's the man. Always.

Blake glances my way, making eye contact with me. Holding my stare, he says something to Em then comes over. Taking the empty seat next to me, he stretches out his arms and legs long, extending all his limbs in every direction.

Squeezing me in a side hug, he speaks quietly. "I guess we better get to work on that party for Ma. She's a dog with a bone over shit like this."

He's not joking, Grandma takes her parties seriously.

"Riley won't accept the scholarship." I know this as well as I know every play coach calls. "She doesn't want anyone to think she's with me because of my money. She doesn't want to be accused of being a social climber. I understand how she feels but it's so frustrating to know that's not who she is."

Blake nods with his eyes locked on Emma. "Em was like that too. So was Chelsea and Tess. Your mom had the worst of it. They didn't want to be accused of taking any of us for a ride. Your mom and Adam were so young when they pushed at Ma and Dad to let them get married. Ma agreed pretty easily. She saw that they loved each other, but Dad... He fought it. She didn't come from the right breeding for him. Ma didn't care, she's a romantic. In the end, she sat Chloe down for a long talk until they agreed, Chloe would leave her marriage as she came into it, if she ever walked out on Adam."