Chapter 32

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 32

Aiden

This is the worst day. Grandma is going in for surgery. The family has come in from all over the country to be here for her. Beckett and Quinn with their family from Texas are here. I swear Hope has grown up overnight. Quinn has her hands full. I bet she's got boys falling all over themselves for a shot with her. Even Landon has his eyes on her.

That won't be happening. As soon as Beckett gets wind of Landon's interest, he will be all over Landon's ass. Beckett is very protective of his niece, with good reason. When Quinn moved to Moss Bluff, Hope was just a baby. With the problems they had in the beginning with Hope's dad, Beckett stepped in and protected both of them. He has taken on a huge role in both their lives. But then so has Grandma.

The Segler's are here, from up the coast and New York, with their herd, as well as all of their extended family. Segler's, Tateman's, Stafford's, Drake's, Eldren's and Bradford's. Mixed among us are our friends that are as much family as I am. We aren't all Bradford's by blood but we are all Bradford's in our hearts. The family tree has a lot of tangled branches and woven roots that attach to different trees. In the end we're family.

Georgia made the decision that she wants to talk to each of us before she goes in. So three hours before her surgery, I prepared for what she had to say to me. Sitting in the waiting room waiting for my turn, the voices, loud and boisterous, calm and quiet surround me. I've not said a word since I got here. But I'm just sitting here waiting quietly all alone. Thinking.

Riley didn't think it was a good idea for her to be here. After everything with mom and dad, she thought it would be easier on me to stay behind. Mom and I have barely spoken about what's happened with Dad and Riley. I don't know what to say to her anymore. She's tried, just like dad, to destroy my relationship with Riley. And just like Dad she failed.

Riley's a good person, better than most. She's been nothing but kind to my family. And those who should be happy for us, who should be thrilled that I found a nice girl to call mine, are against it. All because her bank account isn't as big as mine. She's not from the rich side of town, she's not used to the spotlight like I am. That doesn't matter to me.

I don't understand that way of thinking.

I've worked hard for a place on the football team, for the opportunity to get drafted by a ranking team. I'm an excellent student, friend, son, grandson, nephew and cousin. I am willing to do anything to help my family. I'll do what I can for my friends. I'd never turn on them without a good reason.

But my parents turned on me

It baffles me. I know I've always been a second thought for my dad. My mom doted on me as a child but as I grew up, I depended more on Emma and Blake than my own parents. My parents didn't seem to notice or care. Why have kids if you have no interest in spending time with them? I swear, when I have kids, they're going to be front and center in my life. Just like I was for Blake.

I can't help thinking about all this. The people who have been here for me and those who haven't. I can't help being angry that Riley feels like she's not wanted here. Not because of me, but others. I'm not even angry at her for it. I'm angry she's been put in this position and feels like this.

"Everything okay? You're acting really weird lately." Sawyer sits down next to me with Harper and Landon joining us. My support group. These guys have stood by me through everything. They've never let me down."You act like there's a fifty pound monkey sitting on your shoulders, pulling your hair out."

"What can I say? I've got great hair, it's a pisser." I grumble, not feeling like talking, even to them.

"He does have decent hair. Mine's better, but he does have the better ass. Probably from doing all those squats with that fucking monkey on his back." Harper teases, earning a flip from my middle finger in his direction. The cackling laugh makes my lips twitch.