Chapter one

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter one

Home Sweet Home

Riley

The room change was necessary. After all, I have to focus on school. I can't room with someone who thinks all night parties and drug use is a good way to spend every night of our first week of the semester. I'm only able to be here because I'm on a scholarship. My grades are extremely important. I can't screw it up. I need to keep my GPA up or I won't be staying in school.

There is no backup plan.

My life has been basic. It's just me and my dad since I was little. He owns a diner and works hard to support us but he couldn't afford to send me to college on what he makes. I've spent the last two years in community college to deal with the core classes. I worked and scraped to make it happen. And here I am at UCLA finally.

It was all on my shoulders to get the grades to get here. And now I have to work to stay here. He didn't go to college, my mom got pregnant with me her senior year of high school. Dad did everything he could to make a good life for her and me. In the end, it wasn't enough for her. We weren't enough for her. She left us and dad had to take care of me alone.

I haven't seen or heard from her in eighteen years

I've resigned myself to never really knowing why she left. I didn't dwell on it and I dealt with not having a woman to help me with makeup, boys, sex. I learned the hard way in some areas and have navigated others. Through it all my dad did just fine. Better than fine.

Dad and I have made a good life.

We're a good team. I've worked at the diner since I was able to wash dishes and when I'm home from school, I will keep helping him as much as I can, waiting tables, making schedules and even keeping the books in order, just as I've been doing. During the semester though, he's on his own. I'm worried about him being alone but he pushed me to come out to the coast. He wants what's best for me. I'm trying but it's not that easy.

I don't always know how to fit in

Today, I finally got notice that I could be moved. It's one of the larger, off campus dorms that holds up to four girls. It's in a new large building that houses apartment style dorms with four bedrooms and baths, it's own living room and kitchen in each unit. A huge difference from the single room I was in with the party animal. Fortunately, the school is willing to let my scholarship cover the cost. I just hope my roommates are better to live with than this last one.

I parked my old beat up Civic in the lot and looked up at the newer dorm building. A donation to the campus from some big alumni donor to the school. The Bradford Drake Foundation's name is across the top of the building. Slamming the door once, twice and a hip shot to boot finally latches the car door. Loading up my things, I head in and right to the elevator.

At least I don't have to drag all this up four flights of stairs. Two big guys who look like linebackers walk out of the elevator laughing and talking, almost walking right into me without a word. Figures, most guys around here don't even notice me most of the time. I'm not like most girls on campus. And I don't try to get attention, my focus is school.

Side stepping and spinning in a circle around the guys, I hurry to get into the elevator before the doors close on me. Climbing in the steel box, I push the button for the fourth floor and wait while my arms start to ache from carrying my heavy load. As soon as the door opens again, I'm lugging everything out with no help in sight.

On the plus side, it's very quiet here.

Grappling with the new key, I nudge the dorm door open with my foot and juggle my two large suitcases, a big foot locker on top of them and two boxes in each of my arms. I'm greeted immediately with loud music, the sound of a football game on the TV and a high pitched squeal.