Chapter 27

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 27

Georgia

I know I'm not a spring chicken anymore but I'm not ready to pick out a nursing home either. I'm an active adult a little past my prime but I'm in good shape. I walk every day around our property, I garden and swim. I watch the great grand babies that are coming now just as I took care of my own kids and grandkids. If Maddie would just tell her bun in the oven to get a move on I'll have another one to care for.

I'm not going to go down without a fight. No way. I do everything I can to take care of myself and everyone else in the family. It's what I do and will keep doing until Blake determines I'm no longer capable then I'll do it anyway. I'll show them who's inept.

I was once a beautiful woman. I had every luxury I could ask for, I still do but that doesn't mean I'm careless with my money or my body. My looks have changed over the years. My jet black hair that Blake and Aiden, Hunter and Derrick inherited has changed to white. Oh, I colored it for many years but finally allowed it to go natural.

My eyes are the same emerald green as I passed down to mine. There's crows feet now from years at the beach and squinting in the sun. The lines on my face are deep from smiling and laughing as I enjoyed my life. I earned every line and enjoyed every wrinkle.

I've passed down plenty that will remind my family of me. From looks to humor, from leadership to involvement with my family and the community. I've got a legacy that I've carefully made to pass down to my family to carry on. I intend to make it the best possible legacy we can do.

The first item in my list when I escape the hospital is to deal with my oldest son. He's made a mess of things that I know from what Blake has said and what he hasn't. I'm a smart business woman and I don't do anything without a backup plan. Because of that, I've got plenty set aside in case of an emergency situation. And I have every intention of putting what is needed back into the company to right Adam's wrong doing. And then I plan to retire.

It's time to pass the torch

Not seeing Adam's errors for too long has made me think hard about this. It's time I hand over the keys to the next generation to lead Bradford Engineering into the next decade and beyond. I was talking out of experience to Aiden earlier when I said not to take time for granted. I've done this and I'll be damn, if I do it again.

I found the love of my life again. And what a great accomplishment that was. Jim has brought me so much love and so many years of lovely memories. I'm so thankful for him and everyday I have with him . But I know my days are getting fewer and fewer as are his.

Life doesn't last forever so I've made the most of every second. I know I push myself and my family. I nudge them to go for what will make them happy. I remind them that nothing will be handed to them and everything worth anything is worth fighting for. I tell each of mine to treat people the way you want to be treated. Money and privilege doesn't mean we're better than anyone else. We just have to work that much harder to prove ourselves.

Everything I've done, everything I've experienced has led to today. In the hospital and awaiting surgery, the only thing I can do is think about what I want for the time I have left. Contemplating my life and determining if I've done enough for my family to be proud of who I was to each one. Not just proud of me but where they came from and who they are. I've done my best, the rest is up to them.

Laying here with my eyes closed I feel a hand wrap around mine and feel a soft cheek then something wet that I can only decipher as a tear. Listening to see if I want to give up my interesting listening spot or continue to fake sleeping I learn who is in the room with me.