Chapter 40

**| Sang's POV |**

Blood.

Everywhere.

In the air. In my mouth.

Red in my eyes.

It became everything as I fought and fought and fought. I didn't want to stop.

Luke. Hurt.

Have to keep fighting.

Need to protect. Keep him safe.

Keep him alive.

I wasn't going to fail. Not this time.

Sang!

I had to keep going. Tear into them. Don't stop. Not until they stopped breathing. Not until their hearts stopped beating.

Someone tackled me and I twisted, already clawing at them, my nails digging deep. They yelped and backed off, their unfamiliar scent mixing in with Luke's driving me more insane.

The female. I had hurt the female.

Sang!

My vision cleared enough to see her, trying to become the hunter. No way. That wasn't how this worked. They hurt Mine. Sweet, passionate, silly Mine.

Unacceptable.

I snarled and charged at her. Her eyes widened and pleasure rolled through me at her response.

...ase hear me...

I collided with her and buried my face into her stomach, making sure she wouldn't be able to recover from having her guts removed. Only when she stopped moving did I back off.

"Sang?"

My head whipped around and took in the pack standing there. I met Mine's eyes.

Sang? Can you hear me?

I shook my head, hating the feel of the voice in my head. Someone whimpered and I turned. He was still there, in pain, holding his stomach, back in human form now. I whimpered and backed up, getting closer to him without giving anyone my back. No one was allowed to hurt him.

He was mine.

Mine.

"Sang, I need to be able to help him," one of the wolves said.

I snarled. No one could approach him, not when he was hurt. It was my job to keep him safe. Protect him.

I wasn't losing Mine.

Alpha-man stepped forward, meeting my gaze.

"The fight is over," he said in a low voice, his growl barely contained. That made my hackles rise. "It's over. We won. They're dead."

A moan caught my attention. Not all dead. Not yet.

Him.

He still lived.

The bad man.

He was human again, trying to get to his feet, covered in blood.

Foggy eyes glanced my way, then at the pack in front of me. They widened when he realized the situation he was in. It was over for him.

Dead.

Kill him.

End the suffering.

I glanced back at hurt Mine.

No.

Protect.

A low whine came from me. I wanted both. Desperately.

Bad man needed to die.

Keep Mine safe.

I glanced at Alpha-man, my body stiff. I was ready to run after bad man, but they kept me in place. Mine hurt. Mine needed protection.

No dying. Not this time.

My warrior stepped forward, next to Alpha-man.

"I'll keep him safe," he said. "I'll protect Luke. No more harm to him. He's safe."

I let out a low rumble.

He will be safe with me. I will make sure he gets the help he needs.

That sweet promise was enough. The tension in my legs exploded as I charged after bad man. He yelled something out, but I was already tackling him.

He yelled and yelled.

Until he wasn't anymore.

Dead.

They're all dead now, Miss Sang. Alpha-man's voice thrummed through my head. You did it. You got your revenge against them. They can't hurt anyone anymore.

Dead? It's over. The sluggish question rose out of me.

It is.

His simple response was too much for me as more emotions than I knew what to do with all flooded forward. I raised my head and howled my victory. It was one of excitement, but it was overshadowed by complete sadness.

Over. It was over.

The people who had plagued me for so long were dead. No more could they control me or force me to live in hell. That left me feeling so many emotions.

"Sang?"

I looked over at Alpha-man. He didn't show it, yet I felt it—his sorrow. And it was aimed at me. I looked at the three dead bodies. The three main players who had changed me for the worse laid at my feet, not breathing, very much dead.

What was I supposed to do with this?