Chapter 14

This isn't the full chapter I wanted, but it's something to get me going again. Enjoy!

***

**| Sang's POV |**

The next few days went by quickly, with the guys swinging by at different times, always waiting outside until I gave them permission to come inside, if I did. I didn't always. Some days I just needed space, I needed them to stay away.

Those days were the worst. I felt like I wanted to tear someone part, not for any particular reason but to release this anger inside of me, this need to prove that I was better because being better meant surviving.

Silas had some kind of Sang mood radar because he would just know and he would keep them away for me, while also giving me the space I needed.

Today was one of those days. Victor had come by but Silas met him outside and now they stood there, talking to each other. Victor kept glancing my way but I stayed hidden in the shadows of the house and curtains.

My wolf growled and I gripped the window ledge hard, my fingers turning white.

I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath, slowly releasing it, remembering Silas's words.

"Sang, you don't need to survive anymore. You already did. Now you get to live."

He was right. I didn't need to fight to stay alive.

I opened my eyes to realize they were staring at me through the window, frowning.

I pulled away and went into the kitchen to get something to drink. On the counter, tucked in the corner, hidden in the shadows was probably the most intimidating machine I had ever saw. I stared at the coffee machine in challenge.

The first time Silas showed me how to do this, it was a mess. I managed to get hot water all over the place, mixing in with the black coffee and beans.

This time, I was diligent as I poured in the water, the ground coffee, making sure they were put in the right spots before hitting the switch and listening to the coffee maker doing its thing. Something about the guzzling noise relaxed me.

This was an everyday thing, something normal people did.

Making coffee.

The nutty, earth scent filled the air and I allowed it to comfort me, along with the sound of the coffee pouring into the coffee pot.

I dug through the cupboard above the sink, reaching up on my tiptoes as I went for what was quickly becoming my favorite one.

The cup itself was black, one side said 'Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack.' That quote really appealed to my wolf. On the other side, was a nice white outline of a wolf howling with the moon behind it.

I dumped in loads of sugar and milk. Gabriel said I made baby coffee but I didn't understand why people liked something so bitter. I refused to torture myself when I didn't need to. I smiled as I stirred the pale brown liquid.

After taking my first sip and sighing and the delicious sweetness, I went back into the living room so I could see the front yard.

Silas and Victor were still there, but so was Nathan.

Nathan talked to them enthusiastically with his arms and hands moving, and by Silas's wary expression, whatever it was wasn't good.

When Nathan finished his spiel, Silas's shoulders slumped and he nodded, though he looked worried and wary. My wolf bristled at that. We didn't like Silas like that.