Chapter 36

**| Sang's POV |**

We were halfway to our meeting point when we stopped at a gas station to take a break and get some food. Luke had pestered North long enough to get the big man to cave.

It was an interesting dynamic to watch. Luke had a way to push all North's buttons, and he mercilessly did it until North swerved off the road and nearly jumped into the back seat to beat him up. Only Kota's presence got him to stop. Also, Luke's foot hitting my chin got things settled very quickly.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Luke asked for the hundredth time as we climbed out of the Jeep.

"Luke," I said softly.

He stilled, his eyes widening as they met mine.

"If you ask me one more time, I'm shifting and eating your face off."

Luke's hands went up, eyes widening. "Sorry. I'm sorry."

I growled.

He backed away, trying to hide behind Silas. Silas's frame was big enough to practically hide all of Luke.

"What's going on, Aggele mou," Silas asked, glancing at me and then behind him at Luke.

"Luke kicked her in the face," North growled out before stomping into the gas station to pay for the gas.

My ears picked up a low "Oh shit," before Silas whirled on Luke and shoved him hard.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Sean said stepping up to Silas. "Let's save the violence for the idiots we're about to tear apart."

I went up to Silas and ran my hand up along his spine and then back down. His muscles were tight as he prepared to shift. My simple touch sent a shudder through his body as continued to glare at Luke, who was doing good at keeping his head down.

"Relax, Superman," I said. "It was just some rough housing. You know I can dish as hard as I'm given. Do you think Luke would be walking around now if I thought he truly meant to harm me?"

"Sang," Luke whined. "That isn't helping."

Silas finally looked down at me, his wolf there in his eyes, ready to break free. "I'm okay, big guy. Though I am hungry, and I need the bathroom."

"Restroom inside," he answered, words clipped, like he was incapable of adding on any extra to his answer in that moment.

I smiled and left them to it. If Silas was going to shift and tear Luke apart...well, I did my job and told him not to. It wouldn't be my fault if he didn't listen to me.

Inside the store was big and clean. The white lights added an intense wash over everything, making the place come off as vibrate. I could pick up North talking with the cashier in a low rumble as I scanned the place until I saw the bathroom.

When I came back out of the bathroom there was another person waiting. He gave me a kind smile as he looked me over. His nose flared and he raised an eyebrow. I took in his scent. He smelled like sage and something warm, that made my nose tickle. The hairs on my body stood straight up.

He wasn't a rogue, but being so close to a strange shifter still put me on edge. Despite the fact that I'd been doing well around the Blackbourne pack and handling the Toma pack didn't mean I was ready for anyone else.

"Well, hello," he said.

I eyed him warily. "Hello," I said softly.

He tilted his head to the side, his brown hair falling over his forehead. "Are you part of the other group." He tilted his head toward Kota, Nathan, Luke, Victor, Corey, and Marc who were scanning the snacks. Luke looked all too excited in the candy section. Marc was over by the coffee section with a grimace etched into his face as he stared at his options. Through the window, I could see our two vehicles at the gas pumps with everyone else around it, stretching and talking.