Chapter 41

**| Owen's POV |**

I glanced down at the three dead bodies. In moments she had so easily taken out the female shifter and smaller male shifter and she hadn't been nice about it. Then she destroyed the one man who had probably plagued her nightmares for far too long. I kind of wished she let him live so I could get at him. I wouldn't have put him out of his misery. With what we were able to piece together about the atrocities he had caused, Sang's quick death was not enough.

My wolf wanted more too, knowing that Deras was the shifter who had hurt my people. Silas and Sang were mine to protect and I failed when Deras was able to get his hands on them. Knowing I had failed Silas had been enough to drive me insane, but then to meet Sang and learn what she had gone through...some days, I wanted to go rogue and raze this earth of all her enemies. Not just Deras and his men, but all the rogues, and then go hunt down her family and make them pay for treating her like a pet and then selling her like livestock.

Luke groaned, drawing me out of my dangerous thoughts and back to reality. I curled my hands into fists, fighting the need to tear into something for hurting one of mine.

But Sang had done it for me. While I was proud of her protective instincts, it left me in this uncomfortable position with no outlet for my rage.

How is he? I sent to Sean who was working with North to make sure Luke was okay. I didn't bother asking North. Right now, he was silent, but as Alpha, I could feel his deadly fury through our bond. If Sang hadn't taken care of the three wolves, North and I would have been battling each other to do it. And since it was Luke involved, there was no telling what the result would have been.

Kota, take care of North once we get back to our lands.

Kota's gaze flickered to mine. Already putting a plan together. And no offense, but you will take part too.

I inwardly grimaced as I took in the carnage in the area. Sang got what she wanted but it was leaving the rest of us feeling like we needed more. The taste of battle was still on my tongue as adrenaline coursed through my veins. I felt prickly, my wolf demanding more retribution.

Sang's wolf finally left Deras's body. First she went over to Luke, sniffing his hair. Everyone stilled, sensing her wariness. Only Sean kept working. Luke opened his eyes long enough to look at her before closing them again. Sang moved carefully, going closer and giving him a small lick on the face before backing off and heading toward us. Luke's smile was tight and full of pain, but he still smiled and that was enough to let us know he'd be okay.

Sang stalked in our direction, her coat of fur dark red and brown with blood, hiding the beautiful blond that she normally was.

"Sang," I said. "Shift back."

She said nothing, brushing by me and going back into the woods.

I glanced over at Sean. He was too distracted with Luke.

My lips thinned out as I followed after Sang, wondering where she was going. Gabriel and Nathan stayed back while Kota, Silas, and Victor followed me. Sang didn't seem to care that we were behind her. She kept a slow pace through the woods.

That worried me.

Is she okay?

Why won't she respond to us?

This is dangerous.

She needs to shift back.

All of my pack's thoughts were bombarding me, but I ignored them. They had more questions than I had answers to at this point. All I knew was that something was wrong with Sang. And they were right, she needed to shift back to human form.