"Why Don't You Believe? "

Addison’s p.o.v

“This really is the best milkshake I’ve ever had”

You should taste the ones I make when I’m in the kitchen. I add an extra shot of vanilla and marshmallow crème but don’t tell anyone, it has to stay our little secret.”

“Wow, day one of this friendship and you’re already swearing me to secrecy. Are we going to do a blood oath during the next full moon?” I snicker

For a pastor’s daughter you sure are a handful.”

“That’s why God gave us two hands.”

Preach sister.”

I found myself continuously enjoying Holden’s company as time went by. For each and every sassy comment I made he had an equally cheeky quip awaiting me.

Your father could have gotten priesthood anywhere, why our little town in the middle of nowhere?” Holden inquires before taking a sip of his bubble-gum milkshake.

“If they had offered him a job in Antarctica, I’m sure he would have taken it. Let’s just say instead of facing his mistakes and the truth, he chose to run and in turn I had to pay the price.”

Pay the price? Why because you have to get used to being out of your ivory castle?”

“Judgemental much?”

I’m sorry, that came out a lot meaner then I meant it to. After all you’re going to have to get used to a whole new world, I shouldn’t make that adjustment harder.”

The sincerity in Holden’s voice made it easy for me to forgive him and in that moment I knew, I would even forgive him for breaking my heart.

End of p.o.v

“Well if it isn’t Miss Mills and Daze getting cosy.” Carter commented whilst standing outside the diner with a group of his friends.

“God damn, who’s the brunette and where can I get one?” One of his foolish friends commented.

“Addison, the new pastor’s kid. I had the girl eating out of the palm of my hand this afternoon until Holden opened his mouth and ruined things. She would’ve been in my bed by the end of the week but now things are a bit harder.”

“We should teach Daze a lesson for sticking his nose in other people’s business.”

“Soon boys, now let’s get out of here before they spot us.” And with devious intentions, Carter and his crew left.

Holden’s p.o.v

Addison intrigued me, if I had to logically ask myself why it would simply be because she’s new, like once a child receives a new toy all the others become obsolete and fall into the background. Now I’m not saying Addy is an object it was just a metaphor.

Her accent and dictation had me wordless, to the point I could listen to her talk for hours. The stories she told were only things from my imagination or from watching television.

She had a completely different outlook on and life and had no problem sharing it with me. Addison wasn’t like most of the girls around here, she was bold, outspoken and passionate and I looked forward to discovering more about her.

“Sorry, it’s a text from my dad. He wants me home within the hour.”

Sure, let me just get the bill and we can leave.”

I check my phone and it was already 10pm. Grace would have finished work by now and would’ve been home with Chris so I had nothing to worry about.

“Let me pay for at least my share.” I hear Addy protest as I settle up the bill
.
Consider this a welcome to the town of McKinney. Don’t worry about it.” All she does is smile at me as we get up and leave the diner.

“Thank you for dinner, I had a great end to my otherwise sombre day.”

Thank you for letting me keep you company. You have my number so please text me when you get home so I know you arrived safely.”

“Uhm where do you think you’re going? My car is this way.” I look at her confused.

“Your truck isn’t here and I’m not going to let you walk home, so come on let’s go.”

The gesture is sweet doll but this is the safest town and I literally live 5 minutes away.” She cocks her eyebrow at me and taps her foot indicating impatience.

All right let’s go.”

I knew then she could have her way with me and I didn’t mind it all. It truly was the start of a beautiful friendship.

End of p.o.v

Addison’s p.o.v

3 weeks had passed since we moved to the town of McKinney and to be honest, things were looking promising and I had one person to thank for that – Holden Daze.

We had spent every waking moment of free time he had exploring the town and getting to know each other better, he had even introduced me to other students that would be attending McKinney High with us and friendships were made along the way.

I hadn’t seen nor heard from Carter since I left him alone in the diner and that was somewhat a blessing, I really didn’t want to get involved in small town drama.

I feel like Holden made a silent promise to himself the day we met to make my transition into this new world an easy one and he surely did.

Something concerned me about him though, some days I would see him hiding his pain and bruises from me, I tried questioning him a few times but he became slightly agitated and so the topic was dropped.

Soon, summer break was over and with that came the beginning of senior year which I was more than ready for. School starts on Monday, a day after my father’s first church service, I’m not sure if he even knows this as he has been preoccupied making sure the communities impression of him is a noble one.

Driving to the top of Sun Cannon hill in Holden’s truck became our Saturday night tradition.

I often found myself getting lost in the scenery whilst Holden set up the back of the truck with blankets and pillows for us to lay on and admire the stars.

“So will I see you at church tomorrow? It’s my father’s first sermon.”

Doll you know I don’t believe in the whole notion of God like the rest of the town’s folk do but my brother and Grace will be there and most of your new friends so there’s nothing to worry about.”

“Why don’t you believe?” I ask whilst clenching the cross necklace that laid around my neck.

God has the ability to heal the world so if he exists why doesn’t he? Why does he let innocent people suffer just to spite the ones doing wrong? Why would he leave two young boys motherless and then parentless? Why does character building mean going through shit?”

Holden’s voice cracks and I see his lips quiver, he looks away avoiding my gaze.

In that moment I knew he needed comforting and sometimes that doesn’t mean words, so I laid my head on his shoulder and took his hand in mine letting him know if all else goes wrong, I’ll always be there for him.

End of p.o.v

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

-Fix you by Coldplay