Almost Human

"I can't believe I'm saying this but we might need Ambers help."

"Amber as in Carters ex-girlfriend? Are you sure that's a good idea?"

"Carter blackmailed Amber for years, if there's anybody that wants revenge on him more than I do it would be her. Plus her father is the Sheriff of this town, who better to have on our side?"

"Well we can't be seen together so I suggest you talk to her and text me if she's in or not. I need to sort out some college work now before I fall behind."

"See you around." Holden tips his hat off to Micah who nods before leaving the creek.

Later, at Snakes & Boots Tennis Court.

"Holden, you're the last person I'd expect to be waiting for me."

"Desperate times call for desperate measures. I need your help taking down Carter once and for all."

"Say no more, I'm in." Amber takes a swig of water from her bottle, disgust tainted her face at the mention of Carters name.

"Good, here's what I need you to do."

Holden fills Amber in on his alliance with Micah and what Carter has being plotting.

"I knew he was up to no good, that's why I warned Addison all those months ago but this is a new kind of low. I can't believe he still blames you for what happened to Aria."

"I guess I should have done more to try and save her." Holden involuntarily looks at the ground in shame.

"Hey, none of that was your fault. Aria made her own choices and you can't be blamed for them." Amber lays a comforting hand on Holden's shoulder, he looks up at her and for a second they locked eyes like two star crossed lovers.

"So how soon can you fill your dad in on all of this?" Holden clears his throat and looks away.

"How about we go see him right now?

"Great, my trucks out front."

"Lead the way."

Addison's p.o.v

"I spoke to a friend of mine on the council back home and they too have being receiving anonymous messages similar to yours. I think its best if I fly down there and find out exactly what's going on but I also don't want you staying alone." My father spoke as I poured him a mug of steaming black coffee.

"I'm not exactly alone plus the council doesn't suspect that I know the truth so I can't be on their radar."

"Nonetheless, I'll ask your Aunt Isabelle to fly over here and keep an eye on you."

"Dad."

"It's non-negotiable Addy. Now I have some packing to do and a phone call to make." My father kisses me on the forehead before grabbing his coffee and walking away, leaving me feeling like I'm an 8 year old in need of a babysitter.

The past few days have being an emotional rollercoaster that has seriously given me a case of whiplash. Needing to find my happy place or at least the closest thing to it, I grabbed my recording equipment and heading off to the school's gym in hopes of filming my perfect audition tape to get into Julliard.

I hadn't heard from Holden today and my texts to him were left on unread whereas Micah left for a morning jog hours ago, he was probably thinking of ways on how not to act like a jerk. I texted my father letting him know of my whereabouts just in case he needed me to pick up something on my way back for his trip.

The gym doors creaked as I gently pushed against them just as they would in some high school horror where the popular cheerleader gets killed first leaving the school to mourn for her.

With my hair now firmly pinned up in a bun I laced up my pointe shoes and prepared myself for the performance that could change my life. Subtle music played in the background as I swept the floor with graceful movements and flare, at this moment I was lost in an artistic world without boundaries or limits which was the best place to be.

"Your form is impeccable."

My eyes shot open as I heard a familiar voice that I wasn't too keen on dealing with.

"Carter, what are you doing here?" I questioned whilst running to cut off the music and recording.

"I came to practice a few hoops but stumbled on something majestic."

I awkwardly smile at him before taking a sip of water not knowing how to respond.

"When you're the captain of the school's basketball team you have to work twice as hard as the others in order to keep your spot, that's why I often come to the gym in my free time."

Carter almost sounded human at this point, like a normal teenage trying their best to make it through high school.

"I know how you feel, always trying to be the best in a room because if you weren't you wouldn't even receive a second glance." Addison almost painfully remarks.

"Exactly, I was invisible growing up next to my big brother. He was this genius that had the best colleges fighting over him which landed him his dream job along with a perfect wife. Once he left my parents finally focussed on me but they were disappointed until I took interest in basketball, so basically the only way I receive attention from them is through laying everything I have on the court."

Carter's recount of his childhood made me take pity on him, it was becoming clearer as to why he was such an asshole. Having being depraved of love and a nurturing home myself, I related him which was something I never thought would happen which brought me to my next thought: How much did I really know about Carter Black?

End of p.o.v

"Enough of this emotional stuff, tell me why were you recording yourself perform?" Carter was quick to change the subject.

"I trying to create the perfect audition tape to send to my dream college."

"Julliard right?"

"How did you know?" Addison suspiciously questioned.

"They're obviously the best performing arts school." Carter cleverly answered as if he hadn't being stalking Addison's Facebook page where he saw the Julliard posts.

"Yeah they are with an acceptance rate of 7% which is currently stuck in the back of my mind tormenting me."

"Hey you're going to get in and someday all us small town folk are going to watch you up on stage being the best black swan there is." Carter brings over two chairs and offers Addison a seat along with comforting words.

"Thank you Carter, this has being surprisingly helpful."

"No worries but can I make one more suggestion?"

"Sure."

"Go easy on Micah, he has your best interests at heart but is also hurting."

Carter's words may have seemed sincere but his actions portrayed a different story. His hand was now on Addison's thigh, the coldness of his skin through her sheer tights as well as the unwanted touch caused Addison to stand up and quickly excuse herself.

"I've got to go now, I'll see you around." Addison grabs her bags and faintly smiles at Carter who gets up and follows her.

"What's the rush? I thought we were getting along just fine?"

"We were, it's just that..."

"Addy, there you are. Come on we're going to be late for dinner." Micah appears just in time with an excuse, having heard the last snippets of Addison and Carter's conversation.

"I'm coming."

"Hey man." Micah greets Carter while Addison briskly strides towards him.

"Fuck. Stick to your plan Carter you almost had her." Carter yells at himself after Micah and Addison left before picking up a chair and throwing it across the gym floor in a fit of hysteria.