"If These Creeps Want A Fight, I'll Bring A War"

Addison's p.o.v

Not even my well applied make up can cover up the fact that I hardly slept a wink last night. Between Holden and the mysterious message, theories flooded my mind causing me to toss and turn to the point where I said 'fuck this', got up and binged watched Riverdale.

At the crack of dawn I headed towards Jenny's diner where I knew a fresh pot of well needed coffee would be brewing.

I required answers and knew just how to get them. Once my coffee order was placed, I got a hold of Anya, a friend of mine from New York who was studying to be an IT specialist.

If there was anyone that could trace the message back to the original sender it would be her. We communicated via Skype whilst I sip my coffee and once Anya had all the information that was needed, she was off to work, promising to call me back later with some news.

Now that one problem was in the midst of been dealt with, another had me worried - Holden. He was going to be discharged today and my original plan was to take him home and spend the afternoon taking care of him, but we haven't communicated since yesterday.

Did I want him to message me? - Yes. Was I going to be sassy and angry at him? Also yes. This brings about the age old question - when women are upset do we want space or attention?

I spent the next few hours at the diner doing homework whilst searching for ballet instructors in the surrounding area. I was only successful in completing one of those tasks.

It was just after noon when a petite, dark haired girl whom I recognised immediately slide across the booth seat opposite me.

"Amber? I don't recall asking you to join me."

"Please just listen to what I have to say, it's important."

"Fine" I nodded reluctantly.

"I know you've heard the rumours about me in school and well around town but trust me when I say none of them are true, it's all Carters doing."

"What do you mean?"

"He's manipulative, controlling, a total loose cannon. He paints me as the crazy one and because of that southern charm and holy act people believe him."

"Why are you telling me this now? You've had months to say something and what makes you think I'll believe you?"

"Because I saw him stalking your social media and that means he is up to something. Look you can believe me or not, just watch your back, he's dangerous. I got to go, we never had this conversation."

She got up and put on a pair of overly sized sunglasses before leaving.

"Why do you stick with him if he's the devils spawn?"

"He has something on me and deep down I still love him which makes me a suffering fool."

Soon after Amber's departure, Blair came up to me with a plate of fries and sat it down on my table.

"You haven't eaten anything all day."

"Thanks Blair, but I'm not even hungry."

"Doesn't matter sweetheart, you've had 4 cups of coffee now you need another form of sustenance."

She look at me with caring eyes and I didn't want her kind gesture to go to waste, so I picked up a fry and dipped it generously in ketchup before gobbling it down.

"Extra ketchup on the side, Holden mentioned that's how you always ordered them. Is he what seems to be troubling you?"

"Among other things as well."

"Holden is a good kid, I used to babysit him. He's just trying to find out who he is, don't give up on him. Wave me over if you need anything."

Blair's warm smile seemed to hide something and I had the distinct feeling that she knew what was going on with Holden, but I wasn't about to become one of those people who snoop for information.

After I devoured my meal and paid the bill, I made my way back home with the intention of calling to check up on Holden.

A familiar orange pick-up truck had caught my eye as I approached my driveway. Holden sat on the porch swing doodling something on his cast and a smile crept onto my face.

End of p.o.v

"You're home."

"It would seem so. What are you doing here? You shouldn't be driving with a broken arm."

"Fixing things between us seemed more important. I would have gotten here as soon as I was discharged but the medication they put me on knocked me out."

Holden reached out for Addison with his one good arm and this time she didn't move away from him but instead embraced him, inhaling his scent.

"I'm sorry." He whispers against her neck, his lips ever so lightly brushing against it.

"I'll be ready to listen whenever you need me to." She promises.

Holden's p.o.v

Addison's birthday was in a few weeks' time and I had decided to tell her the truth after that. So from now till then all I had to do was avoid landing back in the hospital and stay away from the rodeo.

When I saw Addison approaching me, my heart immediately began to race. I'm sure it was because I was looking at the girl I have grown to adore and not a side effect of the medication. It had seemed between us, more was said in what was unsaid.

"Something weird happened."

She uttered to me whilst unlocking the door for us to enter. We proceeded to make way towards her bedroom and even though I had been in there plenty of time in a strictly platonic way, this time I had a hard time keeping my thoughts clean.

Addison showed me the message she had received last night and about Amber's rant. My anger had me clenching my broken arms fist which was not a great idea.

"This must be their doing. First you get that message then she shows up to talk to you. What are these just coincidences?" I annoyingly tease.

"I don't know, something tells me to believe her. There was fear behind her eyes when she spoke."

"Let's just wait to hear back from your IT friend. "

"Speaking of Anya." Addison picked up the phone.

"Put it on speaker." I requested and she complied.

"Hey girl? Where you able to find anything."

"I traced the IP address of the internet this person used back to a café in New York. Unfortunately they used a burner phone which means we can't pin point exactly who sent the message. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you."

"Well at least we have a starting point. Why would someone from back home do this?"

"I don't know honestly. I'll keep digging and ask around. If this person contacts you again let me know, maybe they'll slip up along the way."

"Thanks Anya."

"No problem Addy, take care." Addison cut the call and turned to me.

"At least we know this isn't Carter's doing."

"If it's not him then who? And what could Carter be up to?"

"I don't know honey but I sure as hell do know he won't hurt you. I won't let him."

I meant what I said, right now protecting Addison was my priority and that's not a job I'm taking lightly. If these creeps want a fight, I'll bring a war.

End of p.o.v