The Kiss Of A Lifetime

5 years later 

Addison’s p.o.v

I once read a quote that went like this, ‘you don’t always get the ending you want but you do get the ending you deserve.’ Deserve, why does this word sound so affirming yet ominous at the same time?

“That’s it for final rehearsals everybody. I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon for the show.” 

I’m brought out of my thoughts by the head ballet instructor and the applause of my fellow dancers along with their cheers.

“Are you alright baby girl? You seem a bit distracted.”

Elijah, my best friend and the most talented ballerino I know questioned me. We’ve had a solid friendship ever since Julliard and were always forced to partner up because of our undeniable chemistry on the dance floor although he is a bit older and more experienced than I am.

“Tomorrow night is my first time as a principle dancer, I’m just a little nervous that’s all.” 

A little nervous, my god how I was lying. I was freaking out but had to keep my composure. This was one of the biggest ballet houses and we would be performing Swan Lake with me as the lead, I couldn’t afford to mess things up.

“You got this and I’m your main man so whenever you’re freaking out on stage just look to me.” Elijah placed a comforting hand on my shoulder and I immediately exhaled soothingly.

“A few of us are headed to the bar, are you coming?” 

“I’ll meet you there. I have to go home and feed Blue.”

Blue’s my 2 year old Yorkshire terrier, I had adopted him when I moved back to New York after Julliard and got my own place. If you’re wondering how life in McKinney was after the Halloween incident 5 years ago, well let me fill you in.

The church council and its members that were responsible for my mother’s death all faced prison time thanks to Tate, my father even assisted him where he could.

Speaking of my father, he has comfortable made a home in McKinney with his new wife Delilah, funny story she was actually my nurse at the hospital and they just hit it off. It’s good getting to see him happy and in love.

 Things between Holden and I were never the same and honestly I learnt to be okay with that, after finals he asked Amber to the senior prom and seemed to be moving on with his life just like how I wanted.

Once I received my acceptance letter into Julliard he did congratulate and told me that he was going to take his riding to an international level, to this day I still find myself searching his acts on the internet and holding my breath through most parts of it.

As for Micah, I never heard from him again. I did run into his mother a few years ago and she said he wanted to open up his own architecture firm, I was more than happy to hear this after all it had always been his dream. It’s crazy how we are both living in the same city yet have never crossed paths.

Chad and Lily stayed as constants through my life, honestly their friendship has been a blessing.

“Dammit where are my keys.” I cuss whilst fumbling through my bag looking for them.

“Excuse me Miss but I think these are what you’re looking for.”

I hear the dangling of keys behind and immediately turn around.

“Micah?”

“Little cloud? I mean Addison? Wow, you look just wow.” 

I flustered at the sight of him in a crisp white shirt and tie with rolled up sleeves exposing his tattoos, hair as dark as the night and perfectly gelled. His beard scruff just showed how much of time had gone by. I was now looking at a stranger and my heart knew this.

“You look well yourself. It’s funny I was just thinking about you and here you are.”

“Fate’s funny that way I guess. We just started doing the renovations of the building next door, my business partner usually runs the construction side of things but he’s out ill today so here I am. I’m guessing by your hair bun and that gym bag with white lace draping out of it that you’re performing here?”

“Yeah, tomorrows the first night and I’m principle dancer.”

“That’s great, I’m happy you’re living out your dreams. My daughter actually loves ballerina’s, she thinks you guys are real life princesses and wants to grow up and be one. My wife and I are pretty sure she will change her mind though, just last year she wanted to be an astronaut and meet aliens.”

“She sounds adorable.” I genuinely smile hearing how Micah speaks about his little girl, I always knew he’s make a great father and husband.

“She’s my world. What about you? Anyone special in your life.”

“Just my dog Blue. I haven’t had time for anything of that sort really.” Gosh he might pity me hearing this.

“I’m sure you’ll get your happily ever after. I got to go but it was nice seeing you.”

Micah smiled and handed me my keys before rushing off into the New York crowd, disappearing from my life once more.

The following night.

Elijah and I do our ritual of throwing 3 jelly read jelly beans into each other’s mouth just like we’ve done countless times before. This may seem crazy but we’ve seen other performers do much weirder things before they go onto stage.

“We got this baby girl.” Elijah reaffirms my faith as we take the stage, hand in hand.

The hush of the audience and their deep concentration on each of our moves was magical, it had almost felt like we had cast a spell on them.

After the show

“I’d say that was a success, I’m so proud of you.” Elijah lifted me up into a bear hug and squeezed the remaining oxygen out of my lungs. 

“So are we.” My father’s voice was instantly recognized and as soon as Elijah had put me down I ran to him and Delilah, the adrenalin of being on stage in front of hundreds still in my veins.

“You were perfect out there Addy. We couldn’t take our eyes off you.” Delilah complemented and handed me a bouquet of flowers.

“That’s not all we brought.” My father’s words had me anticipation, he soon stepped aside to reveal a familiar face that was behind him.

“We will give you two some privacy.” My father smiled deviously as he and Delilah walked away.

“I can’t believe you’re here.” 

I wouldn’t have missed your first performance as lead ballerina for anything.” 

Holden's words and presence had the same effect on me that they did all those years ago. I felt my heart doing backward flips in my chest as we stared into one another's eyes. 

"I do have an ulterior motive for being here though."  Holden cocked his eyebrow at me with a sly smile on his face. 

"And what would that be?" I ask him tauntingly. 

"I wanted to do this." 

Before my brain could come up with a response, Holden had crashed his lips onto mine. Our kiss was filled with 5 years of built up passion, lust and desire.  Electricity flowed through my veins as he caressed my cheek whilst we embraced. This moment felt like my happily ever after, his arms felt like home. 

"I've wanted to do that for years. Addy no one has ever made me feel the way you do. You're my where my happiness lies and I can't deny myself no longer. I want you, I always have and time as shown me that I always will. Can we start over but with the same love we clearly still have for each other?" 

"Nothing would make me happier." 

Now everything actually makes sense, the heart breaks and the losses, they all lead to something not away from happiness but to it. 

And that's how the second part of our story started, with one kiss that lead to a lifetime of them.