"Feel It With Our Hearts."

Holden’s p.o.v

It had been a week since we last heard from Addison’s mysterious messenger and with Spring break approaching, I had a vague idea of what we might be doing, rephrasing roles as Sherlock and Watson to get to the bottom of things.

“Sweetheart, you could always come with me. The Church Council only meets during the day, we can spend the nights exploring Chicago. I hate leaving you alone the week of your 18th birthday.”

 Addy’s dad looked genuinely upset about having to go, which reminded me of how my father hated going out of town and missing my birthday.

It’s okay dad and I won’t be alone, I have Holden and my friends from school. We can celebrate when you get back.”

And have me she did, wrapped around her dainty little finger.

“Holden, take care of my little girl son.”

“Don’t worry sir, I’ll make sure she has the best Texan birthday any southern bell could ask for.”

A few more words were exchanged between Addy and her father before he departed. I had sat on a barstool in the kitchen contemplating how the next 3 weeks would go.

Would things still be normal once we returned to school? Or would my secret create a new version of normal- one where Addy and I weren’t apart of each other’s lives?

End of p.o.v

That afternoon, Holden and Addison spent their time curled up on the couch, just as they did a million times before watching horror movies.

“I know what I want for my birthday.”

“You know Addy, this isn’t Christmas. You can’t write your demands on a piece of paper and mail it off to the North Pole.” Holden snickers while Addison looks at him and scoffs.

Just hear me out okay. How do you feel about road trips?”

“I love them, my dad and I always used to travel together when he had work out of town. Driving under the stars, meeting locals with crazy stories, staying at motels and sleeping on lumpy beds was actually an experience I enjoyed.”

“Well we have a week until my dad gets back and a destination worth checking out.”

“So where are we off to then?”

New York City.”

“Addy.”

I know what you’re going to say, but even though you’ve made McKinney my new home doesn’t mean I don’t miss my old one. My friends, my aunt, they’re all still there.”

“And you want to scope out the city for yourself to try and find information on our mysterious texter.”

Guilty as charged, so what do you say?”

“When do we leave?” Addison smiles and jumps into Holden’s arm, yes arm. He still has a cast on which was now colourfully decorated with scribbles and decals.

“We do have one detour to take though.”

“Oh yeah? And where might that be?”

We take route 67, drive about 8 hours which will take us straight to California.”

“The beach? You actually remembered.”

“I remember even the smallest details about you Holden.”

Flashback to when Holden and Addison’s friendship began

“My favourite season would definitely have to be summer. My aunt would drive us up to the coast and we would spend weeks at her beach house. The warm rays of sunlight, the cool ocean breeze and ice cream dripping my chin made some of my happiest childhood memories.”

I never truly understood the concept of the beach, maybe because I hadn’t been to one before, there ain’t many beaches around these parts. It’s just water engulfing land, as delicately as it can.”

“Well Mr. Daze, I shall make it my duty to change your mind. The world is so much more than the eyes can see, that’s why we must feel it with our hearts.”

Present

“It’s your birthday week yet you’re thinking about me.”

The beach will do us both some good, I’m in need of a tan and cocktails with tiny umbrella’s in them.”

“And I guess you want me to serve them to you on a silver tray and shirtless.”

“I mean, I definitely won’t complain about that.”

“I bet you won’t.”

Holden gently pushes Addison down flat against the couch and hovers above her. He looks deep into her eyes with an expressionless face before leaning forward and kissing Addison on the forehead.

“You’re the best thing to come into this town in a long time Addy.”

Kiss me you fool.”

And without further ado, Holden obliged, claiming Addison’s lips with his own. His tongue gently danced against her lips before parting them and letting out a low moan into her mouth.

Fingers been traced against bare skin, hands entangled in hair, ferocity radiated of these two souls.

“If we don’t stop now, I won’t be able to hold back.” Holden pulls away from Addison’s grip much to her disapproval. 

And why do you think you need to hold back?”

Holden sits up and runs his hands through his hair attempting to neaten it. The atmosphere in the room had significantly shifted.

“I’ve never laid with a women before.”

Addison sat up with disbelief plastered upon her face. Holden was an 11/10, the kind of guy you read about in romance novels yet he managed to remain untouched.

“Cat got your tongue?”

Do you ever wonder where that expression comes from? I’ve never heard nor seen a cat grabbing…”

“Addy, it’s okay I know this is quite the shocker. I’ve had the chance, just not the passion to go with it. Having sex is the final stage of laying bear with someone, first I want to see their soul naked and if that doesn’t excite me the rest is just carnal backwards behaviour.”

Do you see me different, for having slept with Micah?”

“You didn’t even have to ask that Addy but the answer is no. You had a life before this, before me and I believe you acted on your hearts desires. We can’t really blame people for that well as long as nobody else gets hurt in the process.”

Does my soul not excite you Holden?” Addison asks while looking away.

Holden brings her gaze to his own. “On the contrary, your soul ignites mine and those flames engulf the world around us. We are an old fashioned town and I have the morals of a gentlemen. First I shall wine and dine you as my lady before we lay together.”

“The world needs more of you Holden Daze, yet I’m sure you’ll still find a way to outshine them all.”

“I would, because I would be the only one to have you in his arms. I’m going to go now since someone wants me up at the crack of dawn and I get cranky without 8 hours of sleep.” Holden gets up and makes his way to the front door.

Text me when you get home.”

Holden blows a kiss to Addison and she catches it, keeping it for a rainy day.