"Alls Fair In Love And War"

A few days later

“I brought you something. Thought you might be cold.” Micah drapes a woollen blanket over Addison’s shoulders and sits next to her on the porch swing.

You disappeared after everyone sang happy birthday, is everything alright?”

“I just don’t feel like celebrating. Especially after what we found out last night.”

Speaking of last night, are we going to talk about what happened?”

“It’s not the right time.”

It’s never going to be the right time. You’re leaving tomorrow and – ….”

Just as Micah was about to finish his sentence, Addison’s aunt Isabelle interrupted the two.

“It’s time for presents, come on.” Isabelle pulls up her niece and tugs her inside, leaving Micah embracing the cold himself.

Back at McKinney, Texas

“Back so soon Holden? What happened? Addison got tired of your country ass and found a real man to satisfy her needs?” Carter walks in just as Holden was about to finish his shift at the diner.

“Say one more word like that and I will break your jaw all over again, just like in the 5th grade.” Holden was mere inches away from Carter and could smell the cheap whiskey on his breath.

“Holden, I need your help in the back.” Blair shouts out in attempt to break up the soon to be commotion.

Coming Blair.” Holden replies whilst looking at Carter up and down with a facial expression of disgust.

“Don’t let him get to you. He’s a no good scoundrel.”

I know Blair. It’s just that I’ve had a few bad days and really didn’t need to see his smug face.”

“What happened?” 

Addison found out what it is I do for a living and basically got on a plane to get away from me.”

“She will come back around. Right now I’m sure it’s just more shock and fear that’s playing on her mind and I don’t blame her, neither should you.”

At this point I’m willing to grovel at her feet and beg for forgiveness because I miss her but damn my pride won’t let me, that would be like admitting what I’m doing is wrong when it isn’t.”

“Holden is this really your dream or are you reliving your father’s greatest moments, trying to keep the memory of him alive? What do you really want to make out of your life?”

“I don’t know Blair. I really don’t know.”

“Well you need to figure it out. Your father would want what’s best for you and right now you aren’t living your best life.” Blair places a comforting hand on Holden’s shoulder and pats it before walking away.

The following day

Micah and Isabelle watch as Addison walks through the boarding gates of the airport. She stops for a moment, turns back and waves goodbye at the two one last time.

“Are you really going to let her go just like that?” Isabelle turns to Micah with a sour expression.

She obviously has more waiting for her in Texas than here. Why should I stop her?”

“Because you love her you idiot and I know my niece loves you too.”

One small problem, uhmm Holden? She clearly has feelings for him and he feels the same way. It wouldn’t be fair if they didn’t get a chance to see where their relationship takes them.”

“You’re falling on your own sword now? Where’s your fight? All’s fair in love and war son. Go get your girl.”

5 hours later 

Holden parks outside of Addison’s home and immediately notices an unknown figure sitting on the porch steps. The figure gets up as Holden approaches and looks at him confusedly.

Holden?”

“Wait a minute, you’re Micah.”

“What are you doing here?” Both of the men say in unison.

I’m waiting for Addison and I guess you’re here to welcome her home.”

“I am, but why would you be waiting for her?”

Because I’m here to get my girl back.”

Holden lets out a menacing laugh.

“I don’t think that’s going to happen bud. Don’t get your hopes up.”

Just as the two men argued, a car pulled up behind Holden’s truck and out popped Addison. After retrieving her bags from the boot, Addison runs straight for the front door, unlocking it and gesturing the men inside away from prying eyes. Her attention was first turned to Micah,

“What are you doing here and how did you get here before me?”

You had a 2 hour layover in Arizona, I managed to get a non-stop flight and I’m here because I want- no need you in my life. I let you go once and I’m not willing to let it happen again.”

“Are you kidding me? Addy look at me.” Holden diverts Addison’s attention to him and takes her hands in his.

“I’m sorry okay. I know I have a lot to figure out, but all I know is that every day with you is an adventure and being with you makes me feel more like myself.”

Oh please, you don’t even accept the real Addison. All you want for her is to be your little country wife staying at home and raising your kids when she’s meant for so much more than that.”

“That’s not true and she knows it.” Holden clenches his fist while Micah smirks at his reaction.

“Enough both of you. I have so much going on right and I don’t need to deal with this amount of testosterone. My mother’s death wasn’t an accident and I – ...”

Addison starts to tear and both men approach her in efforts of comfort, yet she pulls away from both of them.

“What do you mean your mother’s death wasn’t an accident?”

Addison told me about the mysterious messages she had being receiving and her real reason for visiting New York. This time a letter was addressed to her with some instructions about picking up a package. When we went to retrieve it, it was the police docket about the accident. Someone had cut the vehicle brakes causing the car to crash. That plus the storm and wet roads….”

“And the fact that this was all covered up means - ….” 

“Someone had my mother killed and I think it was my father.”