Neither Of Us

“I’m so relieved that you’re okay. Addy these past few hours have been the worst of my life.” Micah voices as he pulls away from Addison’s embrace.

“I’m sorry but everything is going to be okay now. Sheriff Holland filled me in before you arrived. I can’t believe you and Holden had been planning to catch Carter for months.”

“I just wish we found a way to catch him that didn’t involve you in the middle of it.”

 “I overheard the nurses talking about how you almost beat Carter to death. That’s why I wanted to see you first, to make sure that you’re alright.” Addison questions as she takes Micah’s bandaged hands in her own.

“This is nothing, remember the first time we met? I was covered in bruises and healing from a stab wound at the hospital, then your father entered my room with you trailing behind him. You were the most gracious thing I had ever seen and knew I had to clean up my act before you could even look in my direction and that’s why I joined the youth rehabilitation centre.”

“You’ve come so far since then.”

You brought out the best in me, so thank you.”

“Could you go and call Holden? I need to talk to you both.”

Addison contemplated whether she was about to make the right decision as she watched Micah leave the room.

“Hey man, Addy wants to talk to us.” Micah caught Holden just as he was about to leave with Amber.

Holden turns back and looks at Amber apologetically, she in turn smile letting him know everything is going to be alright.

“Hey.” Holden mumbles as he places a kiss against Addison’s forehead.

“Hi.” She whispers, breathing in his scent.

The two men pulled up chairs beside Addison’s bed and each took a seat, impatiently waiting for her next words.

“Micah, you were the first person to show me what being in love felt like. With you things were instant, I was swept up into your embrace from day one. Holden, you taught me how to fall in love. You became my best friend and anything else I needed you to be. I’ve been selfish, while each of you gave me one hundred percent I couldn’t reciprocate that and I’m truly sorry.”

Addy its okay, we both knew what we were signing up for.”

“Yeah and we will deal with the consequences of that.”

“I love you both so much and can’t bare hurting one over the other. You two deserve better and I’m going to give you that. I hope you will move on with time and find somebody that will give themselves to you fully, I can’t love either of you half-heartedly anymore.”

“So what you’re saying is that you choose neither of us.” Micah gets up from his chair in a rage.

“Man calm down.” 

I’m sorry but I’m not just angry for myself now, I’m angry for you too Holden. You’re a good guy and if Addy chose you at least both of my friends would have been happy even if it was at my expense.”

“So you consider me your friend now?” 

“You’re not as bad as I made you out to be in my head.”

“We will respect your choice Addison. I think for now we all need some time apart to process things.”  Holden suggested and everyone in the room agreed.

I’ll wait till you’re discharged and to hear what’s going to happen to Carter before I go back home, for real this time.” Micah asserts before leaving, still hurt by Addison’s decision.