The Rodeo

The ruffling of keys at the front door broke Addison and Holden out of their moment of bliss. The two tried to straighten themselves out and catch their breathes before Micah would re-join them.

“This was the last tub and I had to wrestle some kid for it.” Micah laughs whilst walking towards the kitchen.

Having now followed him, Addison grabs a spoon from the draw and immediately dives into the ice cream, devouring it straight from the tub.

“So I’m guessing you’re not sharing?” Holden jokes.

“Grab a spoon boys.” Addison slides the tub towards the middle of the kitchen counter making it accessible to everyone.

“So, I was telling Addy that I’m riding tonight and I was thinking maybe you two should come along, experience what it’s like to be a real Texan?” Holden directs the question to Micah.

“Yeah that sounds good but don’t expect me to wear a cowboy hat or leather frilled boots.”

“You couldn’t pull those off even if you tried, just like I wouldn’t pull off a studded belt.”

Addison rolls her eyes at the two men who continue their light banter until her phone rang.

“It’s Aunt Isabelle, I’ll be right back.” Addison exited the room and Holden saw this as his chance to plot with Micah.

“Word on the street is Carter will be at tonight’s Rodeo.”

“That’s funny, it doesn’t quite seem like his kind of scene.”

“Exactly, which means he must be up to no good, it’s time we put our plan in motion.”

“I’m listening.”

Holden lowers his voice and whispers something into Micah’s ear which caused a grimace smile to forma upon his face. At this moment, Addison cordially enters the room causing the men to scurry apart.

"I’m going to get ready for tonight, I’ll text you the details.” Holden says his goodbyes and drives off in his orange pick-up truck.

“So we have a couple of hours of daylight to burn until we meet Holden, what do you suggest we do?” Micah utters smoothly as he closes the gap between him and Addison.

“I have just the idea.” Addison smirks as she places her hands against Micah’s chest.

An hour later

Addison’s p.o.v

“God, you’re so good at this.” I say to Micah as I carefully watch his movements, he was precise and had a gentle touch but knew when to be rough.

I study architecture, my hands are trained to be steady and I know my way around something built.” He casually responds to me before removing yet another Jenga block, making the game a lot harder.

I gently pull at a loose block and in the corner of my eye can see Micah flinching, clearly he knew this was the wrong move. Our block tower came crumbling down again, all times being my fault.

If it makes you feel any better, you always beat me at monopoly.” He jokes trying to lighten my sore loosing spirit.

“We should’ve played that then.” I roll my eyes which causes Micah to come over and start tickling me.

“Micah stop, you’re killing me.” I laugh so hard which brought me to the edge of tears.

All of a sudden Micah had laid flat on the couch and shifted my entire body weight onto him while looking deep into my eyes. I held my breath not knowing what was going to happen next as Micah’s hands began to wonder down my back.

Hi.” He whispered before wrapping his arms around the small of my back and giving me a little squeeze.

Instead of responding I rested my forehead against his and exhaled with contentment flowing through me.

“We should start getting ready.” Micah whispered in my ear.

“Five more minutes.” I pleaded, feeling safe and loved in his arms.

Micah obliged to my request and held me closer to him, his body warmth now engulfing me as I closed my eyes and rested.

Sometime later.

Just entering the Rodeo caused a thrill from the noise of the cheering crowd and the bright lights to the smell of dust in the air and sound of raging bulls in their pens awaiting to be let free. On one hand I was excited to see Holden in action and on the other I was anxious but I trusted in him and prayed he would be alright.

Popcorn flew in the air as Micah and I watched the other riders in action attempting to tame the foul beasts. Men were thrown off their saddles and landed on the unforgiving dust surface with broken bones yet still got up and waved to the applauding mob of people.

It was now Holden’s turn and the crowd went ballistic chanting his name as well as his deceased fathers in a way to honour him. Holden shot me his signature smile and wink before the pen opened and he jumped onto the savage beast.

Although he had being one of the youngest riders here, it was apparent that he was skilled. With one hand holding onto his gear and the other in the air, Holden was feeding off the energy of the crowd before he dismounted from the bull and ran to safety.

15 seconds, that’s how long the riding session lasted yet it felt forever just by the times I had shut my eyes in fear of watching what was going to happen.

“Come on, let’s go find Holden at the back.” I tugged at Micah’s arm and he agreed, clearly this wasn’t his kind of entertainment by the look of boredom on his face.

I saw the silhouette of plenty of cowboys that night but I still managed to pick out Holden from the crowd. I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders which caused him to flinch a bit before he could reciprocate the gesture.

“I can’t even imagine doing what you just did.” I spoke against him.

You were a natural out there man.” Micah gave Holden an approving nod as I stepped beside him.

“Thanks, do you folks want to get out of here now? I know just the place to keep this thrill going.”

“Lead the way.”

Micah and Holden had being getting along like two old friends which was quite odd but my pounding heart silenced my suspicious mind.

End of p.o.v

The backroom

The smell of bourbon mixed with cigar smoke and country music immersed all who entered in this exclusive bar for riders and their entourage. The low lit ambience of the room had a relaxed vibe to it which countered against the busy 8 ball and mechanical bull riding area. Holden had greeted a few of his friends before securing a table for his group.

“Look who just walked in.” Holden subtly hinted towards the door as Micah waved down a waitress.

“God, what’s he doing here?”

Shit, he’s coming over.”

“Well isn’t this a pleasant surprise? It’s so good to see you Addison and Holden, who’s your friend?” Carter acknowledged the trio but pretended not to know Micah.

“This is Micah, a friend from back home.”

“You two together look like a picture perfect couple, no offence Holden it’s just an observation.” Carter attempts to provoke a fight.

“It’s time you get back to your own table Carter.” Holden impolitely suggested.

Somehow Carters little comments played right into Holden and Micah’s plan which made what was about to happen next a lot easier.