"Your company is peace in a world of chaos"

Holden’s p.o.v

As Addison continued to rest her head on my shoulder and lay her hand in mine, I felt more and more at peace and that caused me to do something I haven’t done in a long time – open up to someone.

Growing up, my dad was my hero and I admired the hell out of him. He taught me what it takes to be a true man, a gentlemen. I saw the way he loved and respected my mother and how he always made time for his family, if one day I grow up to be half the man he was I’ll consider myself lucky.”

“He sounded like an incredible man.”

“He was. I remember going to work with him every chance I got, at some point I was the tail he had grown, a mini version of him my mother would say. His passion for his job eventually became mine and that freaked my mother out. When she died, dad became our rock. We never saw him struggling and he loved us enough for two parents.”

“How did they both pass on?”

My mother during childbirth and my father in a work accident about 4 years ago.”

“Life’s just not fair.” I could see Addy’s eyes become glossy so I gave her hand a little squeeze.

“I know doll. We love and we lose, that’s the real cycle of life.”

“What was the passion you and your father shared?”

I avoided Addison’s gaze because I knew I couldn’t tell her the truth. How do you tell someone..

‘Hey my dad was a professional bull rider in the rodeo. He got thrown off more times than I could count and came home with broken bones yet he would still get back on that damn beast until one day he got kicked in the head and died because of a brain bleed. Oh and I’ve chosen to follow in his footsteps because I love the thrill of it all.’

Yeah that’s not exactly something you can openly say to people without them questioning your sanity. So instead of answering Addy, I changed the topic.

Enough about my family, what about yours?”

“My parents weren’t in love, dad just wanted someone by his side to give of the illusion of a perfect family whilst mum just wanted the status. Years went by and the two were comfortable with their ‘arrangement’ until my mother met someone towards the end of last year. From what I’ve heard, she began an affair and planned to leave with her lover. One night my father got a call that there was a car accident and my mother was involved, she and the passenger didn’t survive.”

“Was the passenger her lover?”

“Yeah and due to the suitcases found at the scene, it’s safe to assume they were leaving town.”

What kind of mother does that? Just leaves without even saying goodbye.”

“I think she felt pressured to. I remember a few nights before that, my father and her having an argument but I couldn’t hear about what. Maybe he told her to leave or to stop seeing the other man so she made her decision.”

“I don’t see how anyone could leave you Addison, you make a room brighter just by walking into it.”

“And your company is peace in a world of chaos Holden.”

Micah is a lucky guy.” The moment those words slipped out of my mouth I regretted them.

Yes, Addison did tell me about her first love Micah Pembroke and how he was one of the main reasons she wanted to stay in New York. I myself haven’t experienced love but it is said, ‘you never know what’s around the corner’.

“We broke up. I think neither of us wanted to hold the other back.”

Oh.”

That’s all I was able to muster up. I could have sworn my heart did a little dance hearing those words leave her mouth. At this point she basically is my best friend but there’s potential for so much more.

End of p.o.v

Sunday morning

Addison’s p.o.v

I stood by my father’s side with a fake smile plastered across my face as he greeted those entering church. As soon as I saw Grace and Chris, I took that as my cue to leave. The three of us sat together and made friendly chat while waiting for the service to begin.

After the sermon

Walking towards my car I hear someone calling out my name.

“Addison stop please.”

I turned around and saw Carter chasing me down, argh this was definitely not what I needed right now.

“Hi.”

I have a really bad headache Carter so can we please make this quick.” I lie trying to get away from him as soon as possible.

“Sure, I just wanted to apologise. I should have told you about Amber. Things between us are just complicated and when I saw you I felt butterflies after a really long time, that doesn’t excuse what I did though.”

You’re right it doesn’t excuse your crappy behaviour, like the way you spoke to Holden.”

“I’ll admit this to you and you only. I could see the connection between you two and felt threatened by it so I lashed out and tried to belittle him in your eyes. I will apologise to him at school tomorrow. I hope we can all be friends.”

Instead of answering him, I simply replied “I’ll see you tomorrow.” Before getting into my car and driving off.

You know the feeling you get when you know you’re been bullshitted? Like when someone is saying all the right things to you but they hold no truth to it?

That’s exactly how I felt whilst listening to Carter. Been a ballet dancing we are taught about body language and how intentions can be displayed through it. All I can is that after our little exchange, I trust Carter even less.

End of p.o.v

Monday morning

Addison makes her way downstairs towards the kitchen to say goodbye to her father before heading off to school. To her surprise, the scent of bacon and maple syrup engulfed her surroundings.

“Good morning sweetheart. I made breakfast, take a seat and I’ll dish up for you.”

Mr. Mills hadn’t cooked breakfast for years, so this little gesture surprised Addison.

What’s going on dad, you haven’t cooked a meal since I was a child.”

“And I know how wrong that is. I’ve been an absent father and that’s not what you deserved. It’s only us two now and I want to rebuild or relationship. I hope you can slowly forgive me.”

Did you make chocolate chip pancakes?”

“From scratch, I do remember they were your favourite.”

This is a good start, but you have years to make up for.”

“And I will. I’m going to be better, do better for my little girl. You’re leaving next year and I want to give you a reason to come back home and visit, even though you might not see this place as your home just yet.”

‘What’s with the sudden change of heart? Can I really trust him?’ Addison thought to herself before picking up a glass of orange juice to toast with her father.

To repairing relationships.”

“To rebuilding a father- daughter bond.”