"Get Over Here And Give Me A Hug."

Stop fussing, you look beautiful.”

“Are you sure? This is the first time I’m wearing a flannel and it’s not even mine.”

“Well my shirt looks great on you. A little big but not everyone can have these muscles.” Holden jokes as he flexes his biceps.

“I bet I could still take you down.”

“Do you really think your fancy goat yoga is a match for my years of physical labour at the ranch honey? Speaking of the ranch, I want to take you there this weekend. They just broke a new set of horses which means they’re ready to ride.”

“I’ve never been horse riding before. What if I’m ejected from my seat and land on my ass?”

“Firstly it’s called a saddle and secondly I’ll be there to catch you so really there’s nothing to be afraid of. Pro tip horses love sugar, so just bring along a few cubes and you’ll have a loyal steed.”

“Does that tip apply to humans as well?”

The only people our loyalty will never waver from is ourselves.”

3 months later

Addison’s p.o.v

Back in New York, ballet was my life, the auditorium and dance stage, my safe space. I attended the best workshops, had world class coaches and I knew exactly what I wanted my future to look like but now I’m not so sure that’s attainable. 

“What’s wrong sweetheart?” My father asked, concerned about the perplexed look on my face.

“I got an email from Julliard. They want me to send in an audition tape by September but I haven’t danced since we moved here. Where am I going to find a place to practice or coach in this town?”

“We’ll search the surrounding areas for a ballet instructor and I’m sure I can pursued Principal Walker to let you practice in the school gymnasium after hours. We will make this work Addy, never give up on your dreams.”

I smiled at my father’s comforting words. Our relationship has slowly been recovering these past few months and after a long time I actually feel like I have a parent who cares.

“Is Holden still coming over for dinner tonight?”

Our conversation was interrupted by the sound of my ringing phone.

“I don’t recognise this number.”

“Answer it, it might be important.”

And so I did. The next few minutes felt unreal as the colour from my face drained and panic set in my voice. It was Grace on the other end of the call delivering me the news of Holden’s hospitalisation.

“I’m on my way.” 

I picked up my keys without delay and bolted out of the front door, leaving behind my confused father. Questions clouded my mind as I tried to pray. How did this happen? Why did this happen? Please let him be okay.

Although Holden and I were friends, there was obviously something much deeper going on in our relationship but neither of us have acted on it. Sure there has been random flirting and times I’ve fell asleep on his shoulder whilst watching corny movies but some lines weren’t meant to be crossed, at least not just yet.

End of p.o.v

Plano, Texas. 13 miles from McKinney

Saint General Hospital