Alliances

So have you finally chosen a Halloween costume or are you just going to throw on the first thing you find?” Holden enquired as he drove Addison home from school.

“I’m dressing up as Cruella Deville. Yes she’s a villain but she’s also iconic. I can’t believe you actually convinced me to abandon my Halloween tradition of watching scary movies in a gruesome costume to go to some party.”

Amber was nice enough to invite us, the least we can do is show up and have a good time.”

“The only reason she invited me is because she’s trying to score points with you.” Addison rolled her eyes and huffed.

What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Oh sweet, naïve Holden. She has a crush on you.”

“I mean look at me, who can blame her but you don’t have to worry about a thing because I have a crush on you. Well technically it’s more than a crush but I was trying to play on what you said and now I’m rambling.”

The sound of chasing sirens and flashing lights had interrupted the duo’s conversation which prompted Holden to pull over his truck and await for whatever was about to happen next.

“Is that the sheriff’s car? Why would he want us to pull over?” Addison questioned whilst Holden got out his license and car registration just as he would whenever being stopped by the towns police.

Sheriff Holland, what seems to be the problem?”

“Holden, I’m going to need you and Ms. Mills to step out of the vehicle so that I can conduct a quick search.”

“On what cause and where is your warrant?”

Addison relax, this is a routine search. I’m sure it’ll be over in no time.”

Holden took Addison’s hand and stepped aside of the truck, giving the Sheriff complete access to it.

After a few minutes Sheriff Holland returned with a small, clear plastic packet filled with pills.

“Care to explain what these are and how you acquired them?”

They’re not mine.” Holden defended whilst looking at Addison and the Sheriff in confusion.

“I found them in the middle compartment of your truck son. Earlier on we got a tip of that you might be harbouring illicit pills with the intention of distributing them at tomorrow night’s party. I’m sorry but I’m going to have to arrest you.”

Addison watches in horror as Sheriff Holland handcuffs Holden and places him in the back of his patrol car. Knowing that Holden was innocent, Addison immediately called his uncle before going down to the station.

At the police station

“I’m sorry ma’am I can’t give out any information, you aren’t family.” Addison was met with brick walls whilst trying to inquire about Holden’s arrest.”

“This is ridiculous. He is innocent.”

“That’s for the law to decide. Now I’m going to ask you to leave or would you like to spend a night in lock up beside your friend?”

Before Addison could say anything, a pair of arms pulled her away from the officer.

“Addison you need to calm down and let me handle this.” Jerome, Holden’s uncle stated.

“Those aren’t his pills. Holden is being set up.”

“I know and I will get to the bottom of this but for now you need to do me a favour and go keep an eye on Chris until Grace gets home that way Holden isn’t stressing about his little brother.”

“Okay just keep me updated please and if he needs a lawyer my dad knows the head of one of the biggest firms in New York who would be happy to do us a favour.”

Jerome smiled at Addison and kept an eye on her walking out of the station, just in case she got into any more trouble.

“Sorry I took so long getting here, Holden’s girl is a handful.”

“Has Addy left?”

“Yeah, everything has being handled.”

“Good so now can you please take these cuffs off me, they’re quite uncomfortable.” Holden reaches his hands out in front of Sheriff Holland.

“Sorry son, I had to make your arrest look real.”

“Plus Carter needs to think his plan worked and that you’re finally out of the picture.” Micah emerges from a chair and goes over to shake Holden’s hand.

“Does he and Addison still think you flew home?” 

“Yeah, he’s probably already on his way to her house to offer a shoulder to cry on since you got arrested and I’m supposedly half way across the country.”

“It’s a good thing I sent her to our house then.” Jerome stated as a light sigh of relief spread across the room.

“We have enough evidence to bring Carter in, are you boys sure about continuing the plan?” Sheriff Holland questioned.

Yes, Carter is a maniac and needs to be stopped. We don’t want him worming his way out of this. Tomorrow night at Amber’s party he will put the final nail in his coffin.”

“I just want the girls and everyone else at the party to be safe but you’re right especially after what Carter did to my daughter. I can’t believe he blackmailed my little girl.”

“Don’t worry Mr. Holland, Chad is going to keep an eye on things plus Holden and I won’t be too far. That son of a bitch will pay for everything he has done to the people in this town.”

The following day

Amber, what are you doing here?” Addison queries after answering the knock on her front door.

“I tried to get some information about Holden’s arrest from my father but he wouldn’t tell me anything although last night I saw him taking up some case files to his bedroom. I bet one of them has to be about Holden.”

Holden’s uncle was very vague about what’s happening. I think we need to do some investigating of our own. Starting with those files in your fathers bedroom” 

“Then we will do it tonight at my party, plus people will have a few drinks in them which makes things easier for us. If someone did set Holden up, all we have to do is ask the right questions and the truth will expose itself. I have some last minute details to take care of, I’ll see you tonight.” Amber says her goodbyes to Addison and soon after makes a call.

“I just spoke to Addison, she’s definitely coming to the party tonight. Now all I have to do is get her to stay long enough for Carter to show his face and fall all over her.”

Thanks Amber, without you we wouldn’t have had the chance to stop Carter in the first place.”

“Nonsense, I’m sure you would have come up with something Holden but I’m glad to help. Are you sure dangling Addison in front of Carter as bait is a good idea though?”

“Carter has made many enemies in this town, even some in his own friend group so we know exactly what he plans on doing tonight but Micah and I will stop him. We just need to catch him in the act first.”

“This party is sure going to be an unforgettable one for all the wrong reasons.”