20. THE SNOWY GARDEN

Lucy could not leave the Estate any faster than she did the next day

     Lucy could not leave the Estate any faster than she did the next day. Her arm and heart ached terribly with the pain that she had endured the night before. After hastily throwing her belongings into her trunk, she bounded down the wooden staircase.

"Where are you going?" Orion asked with a sip of coffee while holding the Daily Prophet. He sat upon a leather couch in the drawing-room as Lucy paused hesitantly in front of him.

"Malfoy Manor, if you must know," she replied, folding her arms over her chest.

"Malfoy Manor?" her father scoffed, setting the thick newspaper down beside him. "Why would they possibly invite the likes of you?"

"Probably because she's seeing their son, I'd reckon," Yaxley declared upon entering the room with a gloating grin.

"Is this true, Lucille?" her father demanded with a raised brow.

"Yes it is, actually," she retorted before grabbing ahold of her trunk. "And they are expecting me, so good day,"

With that, Lucy made her way towards the front doors. She tugged her thick black petticoat over her blouse before exiting the dusty mansion. Outside, the wind whipped her hair around as she trudged through the snow, dragging her trunk behind her. Once she was sure she was far enough away from the house, Lucy took a nervous breath before she spun on her heels.

She was suddenly in a dizzying colorful void, twirling quickly towards her newest destination. She felt the familiar feeling of being squished and contorted as she landed rather roughly into the solid ground. Her trunk smacked her in the knee upon arrival, causing her to curse rather loudly.

As Lucy dusted herself off, she gazed around to see she was surrounded by towering, perfectly pruned hedges. The sun showed through the overcast clouds that were sending flurries down below. Fat snowflakes tangled themselves in her hair and onto the ground as they began to multiply. Lucy quickly straightened out her skirt before making her way down the path.

The sound of a bird cooing startled the serene quietness that hovered over the manor. She looked around to see a ghostly white peacock strutting down the pathway. As she turned the corner, she was met with a massive pair of impressive wrought iron gates, with intricate black coils detailed into the metal.

Lucy cautiously reached out to touch the metal, only for her fingers to pass through it, as though it was thick smoke. She tried once more, this time using her whole hand. Once again, she slipped through the metal as if it was not there. With a shrug, she dragged her trunk through the metal with her, surprised that she appeared on the other side of the gates.

Before her was a mansion that was so massive, it made her home look like a broom cupboard. Its front door alone was tall enough to fit a large mountain troll through it.  As she approached the sleek black door, it swung open, as if to invite her inside.