12. APPLES

The overcast morning began to the sound of Pansy swearing

The overcast morning began to the sound of Pansy swearing. Green iridescent light reflected into the dorm from the dreary depths of the Black Lake. Lucy stifled a yawn as she rubbed her eyes in an attempt to make the weight behind them lighter. 

On the bright side, there was Potions class today, meaning that Lucy would not be entirely miserable. The silver mantle in the common room was dark when Lucy exited her dormitory, its usual warm fire had been diminished. However, with a simple swish of her wand, a roaring fire took over the charred coals. Curling up in the armchair closest to the heat source, Lucy watched as the Giant Squid swam by. The large shadowy figure consumed all the light that had been streaming in through the windows as it floated by. She smiled slightly before diverting her eyes towards Draco, who silently treaded into the common room. His eyes flicked over to the familiar soft face of Lucy before spotting her by the fire. A blush rose ever so slightly in his cheeks, replacing their usual pallor.

"You just missed the Giant Squid," she gently informed him as she stood up from the velvety green chair.

"I'm gutted," Draco feigned lightly with dark bags beneath his piercing grey eyes. He had done his hair neatly for the day, and she could faintly smell his musky cologne.

"About yesterday--" Lucy began quietly as they began to descend deeper into the dungeons. His eyes met her own and the tension in his face relaxed.

"There's nothing to say," he responded with a shrug. "We snogged,"

"Right," Lucy replied, her lips in a thin line as they entered the dark classroom. She was tired of secrets and the confusing relationship that had grown between her and Draco. Arielle, Theo, and Blaise were already seated inside at a workbench and lit up in delight at the sight of their two friends.

"There you two are!" exclaimed Blaise, moving his cauldron to make room for Draco.

Lucy looked around, noticing that the blackboard had a list of ingredients that she recognized as those needed to make for the Elixir to Induce Euphoria. Even more, she was delighted to notice that Potter was absent from beside his usual Gryffindor friends. Hermione sent a nasty look at Lucy that she chose to ignore, and instead turned smugly to her friends.

"Potter isn't here today," she told them with a wide, pleased grin.

"Brilliant!" declared Theo with a clap of his hands. "Now we can all worship your amazing ass-"

"Bugger off, Nott," hissed Draco, who was glaring down at his cauldron.

"Hello, class!" Professor Slughorn cheerfully greeted as he cleared his throat. The chatter of voices piped down as all eyes turned to the professor. Well, except Malfoy's, who continued to secretly steal glances of the girl across from him.

"We will be brewing the Elixir to Induce Euphoria today!" announced Slughorn with a chortle. "So go ahead and turn to page two hundred and sixty-two in your textbooks, and let us begin!"