14. THE ASTRONOMY TOWER

Tensions were high that weekend as Lucy exited the common room only to bump right into Draco

"Er--hi," she awkwardly greeted as he looked at her in surprise. 

"Hello," he answered. "Er--I'll see you later,"

Lucy scrambled for words as Draco moved to step around her at the same time she tried to, and the two nearly collided once more. 

"Bloody hell, Lucy--" he began, running a hand through his platinum hair. 

"Sorry," she said meekly, brushing past him to walk away. Draco's hand reached out to grasp her arm as she tried to do so.

"Meet me tonight," he suddenly insisted, his grey eyes swirling. "Astronomy Tower,"

"We have prefect duty," Lucy countered. 

"Skip it," he insisted before slipping into the common room. 

Midnight struck, producing a loud chime of the gigantic clock that sat high up in the clock tower. Outside, the weather was bleak and cold. Flurries of snow darted through the sky, even though it was merely the first of November.

Lucy threw her robe in a hurry on as she began her secret ascent to the top of the Astronomy Tower.  Thankfully, there would be no Astronomy class that night, seeing as the sky was far too covered with white puffs of snow. She narrowly managed to avoid Peeves the Poltergeist on the spiraling staircase up to the tippy top of the tower. The cobblestone stairs were quite strenuous on Lucy's healing ribs as she finally reached the top.

Panting slightly, she spotted Draco's figure leaning over the rail of the tower, gazing out into the blanket of snow below him. With a shiver, Lucy wrapped her robe tightly around her body and carefully pulled her hood over her head, covering her raven locks.

"Draco?" she called out softly as she approached, afraid she would startle him.

He whirled around, looking like a deer in headlights before realizing it was only the small brunette.

"About bloody time," Draco sighed, running a hand through his ghostly pale hair that matched the color of the snow behind him.

"Care to explain why you insisted I meet you up here?" she questioned with a half-smile, gazing up at him through thick black lashes.

"We need to talk," he stated plainly as she reached his side and peered down at the grounds. She shifted her gaze to stare up into his icy blue eyes.

"Whatever we have going on between us can't continue," he began, causing Lucy's heart to shatter at once. Whether she had meant to or not, she had come to fancy Draco. She had fallen for him hard. Now she was paying the price.