43. BLOOD STAINED

Lucy was an expert at going numb

        Lucy was an expert at going numb. She had done so all too many times during her time at Hogwarts underneath the writhing pain of the Cruciatus Curse. Part of her wondered if Granger would prefer that right now as Lucy watched helplessly while Bellatrix carved into the girl's wrist with her knife.

Wormtail had slithered into the room, watching eagerly in the corner next to Greyback. The portly man creeped Lucy out more than she liked to admit. 

"I'm going to ask you again! Where did you get this sword?Where?" seethed Bellatrix, holding the knife just above the girl's wrist.

"We found it—we found it—PLEASE!" Hermione screamed, a blood-curling sound that left a tingle of fear on Lucy's spine.

"You're lying, filthy Mudblood, and I know it! What else did you take, what else? ANSWER ME! CRUCIO!"

"How did you get into my vault? Did that dirty little goblin in the cellar help you?"

"We only met him tonight!" Hermione sobbed between gasps of air. "We've neverbeen inside your vault! It isn't the real sword! It's a copy, justa copy!"

"A copy?" screeched Bellatrix. "Oh, a likely story!"

"Stop!" Lucy suddenly exclaimed, her voice trembling. "Ask the goblin, then. She clearly doesn't know,"

"Yes! Draco, fetch the goblin, he can tell us whether the sword is real or not!" declared Lucius.

Draco looked warily to Lucy before sweeping down the steps of the cellar.

"Defending the Mudblood, are you? Did your time away at Hogwarts make you soft, Armstrong?" hissed Bellatrix.

"Quite the opposite, Bellatrix. I was tortured by the Carrows for months on end," seethed Lucy, her anger overcoming the fear that was bubbling in her stomach.

"The Dark Lord doesn't take kindly to Blood traitors!" cried out Bellatrix. "I cannot believe you are seriously letting this-this vermin live under your roof, Cissy!"

"Oh, Bellatrix, stop it--!" began Narcissa impatiently as Draco returned with the goblin.

"You! Goblin!" exclaimed Bellatrix. "Tell me, how did this Mudblood get into my vault?"

At that moment, a noticably loud crack sounded from downstairs in the cellar.

"What was that?" demanded Lucius Malfoy suddenly. "Did you hear that? What was that noise in the cellar?"

"Draco—no--Wormtail! Make him go and check!" Lucius demanded.

Draco came to stand next to Lucy once more, his fingers grasping onto her own as they stood by the fireplace.

"Don't make me ask again, goblin, who was in my vault?" 

"I don't know," the sharp teethed goblin replied.