46. THE DRAWING ROOM

A week later, Lucy awoke to a doe gliding into their bedroom

A week later, Lucy awoke to a doe gliding into their bedroom. She quickly threw on the silk robe lying on the floor as the glowing blue Patronus demanded her attention darting around the room. Draco began to stir as well, pushing back the covers to reveal his lean torso.

"Bloody hell! What the—?" he began.

The doe dissolved into a mere glowing orb.

"Potter has just broken into Gringotts. A battle is inevitable now. Survive it, and I will find a way for you to disappear," Snape's curling voice filled the room before the Patronus dissolved, leaving them in darkness.

"Do you think he's serious?" Draco gasped.

"He's got to be, hasn't he? You-Know-Who trusts him,"

"We have to go back to the Manor,"

"What? No!" countered Lucy.

"If Snape is right, we'll be hunted down if we aren't there when the Dark Lord calls for us," Draco explained, running a hand through his pale locks.

"But what about your father?"

"I'm not afraid of him, Lucy,"

Lucy nodded, biting her nails anxiously.

Within the hour, the two had packed up their belongings and hand in hand, stepped out into the cold mountain air.

Lucy wore a simple long-sleeved black dress that fell to her knees beneath her long coat. Draco was back in his crisp suit, a stark contrast to the casual flannel and jeans he had been in the last few days.

She looked at him, eyes full of words left unsaid as he nodded and they Apparated. They were suddenly met with a torrent of rain being unleashed from the dark, cloudy skies. A gasp of shock emitted from her as freezing rain pelted her face and plastered her hair.

Lucy quickly whipped out her wand, casting the Umbrella spell over them as they hurried past the formidably tall hedges. She could not help but notice they were due to be trimmed. They slipped right through the misty gate, rain splashing at their feet.

Warmth seeped into their bones the moment Draco swung open the front door to the Manor. Lucy wordlessly cast drying spells over the two. Immediately, terrified screams met their ears as Draco drew his mother's wand and carefully led the way to the drawing room. Lucy's heart pounded as they stalked down the narrow hallway before dull lighting flooded her eyes.

Nearly a dozen figures stood in the drawing room, yet another dozen littered the floor. The deep wooden panels of the floor were stained with puddles of blood and Lucy's eyes grew wide as saucers at the sight of the massacre before her.

"Draco," came out the stuttered gasp of Lucius. The bags under his eyes were deep, and his beard was unshaven. Lucy's gaze snapped to Lucius and Narcissa who stood before a figure that was facing them. The blood drained from Narcissa's pale face as she saw the couple.