27. BIRTHDAY BUBBLES

Summer had never been Lucy's favorite season

  Summer had never been Lucy's favorite season. She found the heat irritating, and the humidity insufferable. She also hated being away from her friends and Hogwarts, seeing as each summer she would stay locked up at her father's estate. The end of the semester always meant final exams, which was yet another thing to not look forward to.

The fifth of June marked Draco's birthday, and of course, a celebration was in order. Cards and parcels from his large family had covered the entire surface of the Slytherin table that morning at breakfast. Blaise had been particularly agitated at this, seeing as an owl decided to leave droppings on his head. Meanwhile, Lucy had gotten Draco a plethora of candy and toffee from Honeydukes, as well as a new jumper with the colors of his favorite professional Quidditch team, the Falmouth Falcons. While going to Transfiguration class on one's birthday was less than ideal, Draco did not seem to care. In fact, he was in especially high spirits after they passed by Snape taking house points away from Potter on their way outside the castle.

A light breeze tickled her skin as the group of Slytherins sat beside the Black Lake, watching the Giant Squid bask in the shallow depths of the water. The sun was lazily falling in the sky, yet still shining. Draco's head sat in her lap as she lightly played with his platinum hair. His eyes were closed as the sun shone brightly upon his pale skin dotted with freckles.

"Dare me to go tickle the Squid?" Theo asked the group in a playful tone.

"I've heard that someone nearly drowned from that thing mate," Blaise retorted, his head buried in a Transfiguration textbook. This comment caused Crabbe and Goyle to snicker.

"I'm rather worried for exams," piped up Arielle, biting her lip as she gazed over Blaise's shoulder to view the textbook.

"You'll do fine love," he reassured her as he flipped the page of the gigantic book.

"It'll be a miracle if you two can even make it to seventh year," chuckled Theo, pointing his thumb at Crabbe and Goyle. The two troll-looking boys scowled and looked offended at this statement.

"Can you lot shut up about exams?" snapped Draco, opening his bright blue eyes irritatedly. "It's my birthday, I'm trying to fucking relax,"

"Sorry mate," said Blaise with a shrug before shutting the textbook. "I'm starving, anyone else want to get some dinner?"

Draco shook his head and closed his eyes once more. Everyone except for Lucy and Draco got to their feet and headed back to the castle.  The couple basked in the sun, enjoying one another's presence.

"Mum thinks that my father will get out of Azkaban soon," he said abruptly, breaking the peaceful silence.

"Really?" she questioned, gently twirling a strand of his flaxen hair around her finger. "That's good news—right?"

"I suppose," he responded stiffly, sitting up and squinting at the sunlight now in his eyes. "She said the Dark Lord is getting impatient," 

"Meaning what?" Lucy retorted nervously.