48. DAYLIGHT

The hallways were eerily quiet as Draco Malfoy carried his unconscious fiancée into the Great Hall

   The hallways were eerily quiet as Draco Malfoy carried his unconscious fiancée into the Great Hall. Only there, was there sounds, and not pleasant ones at that.

People were gathering around bodies, mourning them, while others fought for their lives on the outskirts of the room that Madam Pomfrey had turned into a makeshift hospital.

Draco spoke to nobody, though his eyes were wary as he glanced at the fallen body of one of the Weasley twins. Guilt nibbled at the air in his lungs, his chest tight as he approached Madam Pomfrey.

"Oh, Mr. Malfoy—set her here," she instructed, her eyes sad despite her calm demeanor.

"She fainted," he explained shortly, placing her gently on a bench.

The witch nodded and bustled away to her chest pulling out a small vial and pouring it into Lucy's mouth. She stirred instantly after, rubbing her eyes warily.

Madam Pomfrey tutted at her ankle that was bent at a strange angle. "Sit still a moment dear, this is going to hurt,"

Draco held her hand as Pomfrey mumbled a healing incantation and Lucy's ankle snapped back into place with a muffled yelp. She breathed deeply, looking up at her lover.

"Madam, shouldn't his head be checked out?" she suggested, voice hoarse.

Madam Pomfrey's eyes scanned over Draco's head injury, and with a flick of her wand, his temple no longer throbbed.

"Now, off you two go," she insisted as the body of a Gryffindor girl was brought in and placed on the bench. It was a grotesque sight to see her flesh had been eaten away by a creature.

Lucy grimaced beside Draco as she got up, hand in hand with him, and her eyes fell on the fallen bodies lining the center of the room.

There, on the end, Lucy caught a glimpse of cherry red hair. A strangled sob clawed at her throat as she rushed forward, falling onto her knees as she stared in horror at her dead best friend. Arielle's body was stiff, her face still holding that look of determination that she had surely given her opponent before being cursed.

Sobs escaped Lucy's lips as tear after tear fell from her bloody, dirty cheeks.

The sight raked pain down Draco's heart as Lucy fell apart beside her. All he could do was remind her he was her, although a few tears of his own escaped as his gaze fell onto the body of Blaise, only a couple bodies down.

"Blaise too," he hoarsely told her.

Lucy looked up at him with watery brown eyes before following his line of sight and covering her mouth as more sobs racked her body.

Lucy gently closed Arielle's eyes, her hands shaking before rising to her feet. Draco followed in suit as Lucy walked slowly over to a corner and slid down the wall defeatedly.