Sadness Follows Everyone

Chapter Eighteen

Charlotte's POV

I sat in one of the metal chairs at the airport, my head in my hands. The only things I had with me was my wallet and my phone.

I never felt so alone in my life. Of my eighteen years, I've never been completely alone like this.

I knew that all of us - all the girls from Status Single - had it hard growing up. None of us got off easy. But we always knew that we had each other. I always thought that after we joined together as a band, all the bad stuff wouldn't be as bad anymore. But I was wrong. I was always wrong.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. After I got that call from the hospital, I thought about my mother. I remembered the way she was always happy, no matter what was going on. I only knew her for seven years of my life, before she was taken away from me. I remember it as if it were yesterday...

*FLASHBACK*

My eyes flew open as I realized my bedroom was lit up. Fire burned at my walls, and smoke caused me to cough hopelessly. I let out a desperate scream of pain and fear, and my bedroom door flew open. My father stood in the doorway, panic in his eyes. He ran to me without hesitation and picked me up in his arms, running through the burning building.

I coughed and screamed, my lungs begging for clean air. My entire house - my clothes, my books, and my toys - were up in flames, burning away to ash. I saw a picture on the wall as we ran past, and my heart fell. It was a picture of my family; my father, my mother, and me. It burned along with the rest of the house.

We finally reached the door, and my father threw it open. We collapsed onto the grass outside, coughing and wheezing. Firemen arrived at that moment, and they rushed into the house to find my mother.

I was pulled up from the ground by one of the firemen, and I was given some water and a blanket. My father was reluctant to do the same, arguing with the policeman and trying to get back into the building. He had desperation in his eyes, and I was scared. Papa was never like this. It was frightening me.

"Papa! What's going on?" I cried, "Where's Mama?"

He ignored me, and I felt tears dripping down my face. The fire fighters put the fire out, but my mama still hadn't come out. Where was she? Was she hiding?

The firemen came out of the house with their heads hung low, and I had a horrible feeling in my throat. Even though I was only seven, I knew what had happened.

She was gone.

*End*

I looked up, and realized I had tears in my eyes. I wiped them away, and looked over my shoulder to see if anyone had seen me. My eyes widened when I realized that strangers seeing my cry was the least of my worries.

Liam Payne carried a backpack on his back as he walked towards me. His face was expressionless, but his direction was obvious.

I turned back around in my seat and waited as he sat down beside me. Liam didn't say anything at first, he just sat there silently.

"Rob told me to go with you," he finally said.

"I don't need a babysitter," I snapped.

"I was going to come whether Rob and Paul told me to or not. You don't need a babysitter, Char, but I think you need a friend."

"A friend isn't going to help me right now, Liam. You don't know the kind of BS I've had to deal with in my life."

"No, I probably don't," Liam admitted, "But I know what you need someone right now. And I'm here because I care about you."

"Thanks," I said sarcastically, "Thanks for caring. But you know what happens to people I care about? Horrible things. Such as house fires and car crashes," I spat, my voice catching at the end.

Liam's eyes widened as my words sunk in. He watched my eyes, as if hoping to get more of a clue from them. But instead of replying, he wrapped his arms around me and held me tightly. I felt my walls crumble, and I hugged him back, feeling the hot tears pouring out of my eyes.

Liam stroked the back of my head gently, and I continued to sob. I didn't realize how much I needed someone right now, and Liam had pushed to get me to come to hat conclusion. I was thankful for that.

"See? I'm not horrible," Liam whispered.

"I never said you were."

"No, but you've been ignoring me," he reminded softly, "I'm sorry for whatever I did. I don't like seeing you sad, Charlotte."

"Well, you should probably get used to it," I replied with a humorless laugh, "I haven't got the luckiest past."

"Just know that I'm here for you, okay?" Liam said, "I'll always be your friend."